Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

left side engine cover for stator wont come off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

left side engine cover for stator wont come off.

I posted a while back with my running problem (engine idles great for 8minutes and then dies). It is a 1982 GS450L. I'm at the point where I'm going to try a different stator, but I cant get the cover off!

I took out all the visible bolts (are there any hidden ones behind the other cover?). The manual says the strong magnet holds the cover tight, but I really pulled on this thing and it isn't moving. The side of the cover that is towards the front wheel has pulled away a few millimeters, but the side towards the back wheel is stuck fast.

Any tricks for prying, pulling, separating the cover. I don't want to damage it with a hammer and screw driver.

Thanks a lot.

Thom

I whacked mine with a rubber mallet a few times and it loosened up so I was able to remove it.

Comment

Re: left side engine cover for stator wont come off.

[quote="kegger117"][(are there any hidden ones behind the other cover?). /quote]

Yes...you have to take off the front sprocket cover to get to the other bolts
      Don't use a screw driver! Use a rubber mallet and tap around the case. It
      may take a little wiggling but it will come off.

Comment

Mine has case guards which needed to be loosened to get the case completly off. But Rubber mallot was the trick for me. Removing it ripped my gasket and when I put it back on I had a small oil leak. So if you can, have a new gasket on stand by. I bought one for $6.95 online. Good luck.

p.s. I assume you used the stator papers (in the GS garage section) to determine your stator was problem? I ask because it is a solid state device, meaning there is nothing you can see with the naked eye. It is covered with some kind of waxy plastic coating which will looked burnt and cracked even when it works fine. It needs to be tested with a multimeter the ways the stator papers say.

Comment

"quote="kegger117"][(are there any hidden ones behind the other cover?). /quote]

Yes...you have to take off the front sprocket cover to get to the other bolts "

That's what I was afraid of. There are two screws that hold a little access plate onto the sprocket cover. One of those screws is totally stripped. Can I take off the sprocket cover without removing the little 2.5" dia. access plate? If not, I'll need to drill out the screw, or get some EZ out tool.

Thanks for the help!

Thom

Comment

Yes...you don't have to take off the access plate

Comment

Thanks Beby99. Took off the sprocket plate and found two more bolts for the stator cover (the repair manual doesn't mention this). It came off easy!

Thomas

Comment

I guess I lucked out on mine. All my bolts were exposed, so other than the case guard needed to come all the way off I was good to go. My sprocket cover looks like it would be a bit of a pain to do. And I was able to use a rubber mallet then pull it off by hand. When I changed the rotor that was special.

Comment

Working...
                X