My center stand flaps on bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My center stand flaps on bumps

Sometimes when I hit a nasty bump the center stand will flap down.
    I'm concerned that it's going to catch the ground someday. I took the spring off and it looks fine. I even bent it a bit to make it shorter but it still flops. Any of you have this problem? Do I need to hook a bunge cord on it? I want to do somethiing that doesn't show. I know...remove it...ha..ha...no I like it too much.

Hook a bungee cord on each side of it pull the ends up and hook them on your back pants pockets. Then when you hit a bump just raise up a bit and put more tension on the bungees.

Seems like you've already tried what I would have suggested first.

Comment

Great Idea!!!

It's raining today but as soon as it clears I'm go'n to run out and get myself a nice black bungee cord (got to color cordiate these things) and run it through my back belt loops and then hook the hooks to the legs of the stand on each side. Then when I hit a big one it will pull my pants down and I can give the cager behind me a nice moon!

Comment

You should have two springs on the centerstand, one on each side.

Comment

You have to take a closer look at your springs. They may seem ok but if they were rigid enough you wouldn't be having this problem. Check them again, don't mess with wrapping bungee cords as a long term solution.

Comment

We are operating under the assumption that Brando knows the bungee cord suggestion was just my off beat sense of humor. His reply confirmed it. I'm sure he'll have the problem under control in no time.

Comment

By the lack of swearing and cursing and the fact you didn't mention your bleeding knuckles and broken tools I'll have to assume you have the wrong spring trying to hold up your center stand.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Has nobody else thought of the obvious solution?? Stop hitting bumps!!!

Steve 8)

Comment

You should have two springs on the centerstand, one on each side.
                  No he shouldn't... stock is one big spring in the middle for the 1100E's.

I'd put money that your bumper is worn out or missing. There is a small bumper that attaches to the muffler, where the center stand stops against the pipe. That rubber bumper stops the noise. I wouldn't worry about it hitting the ground, I'll bet it isn't moving more than a cm or so.

Now if you have an aftermarket exhaust, you have no stop for the center stand.

Bike Bandit still has the bumpers for less than a few bucks.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm only running one spring on my '83 GS750EF. I had one off when I was fitting the 'busa cans and didn't bother to put the other one back on since the one does the job with no worries.

To install them I used a wooden handle with a J hook and a stout wire tie, like 1/4in. I hooked the spring on the frame then put the tie in the other end and pull on the wire tie with the J hook. Worked like a charm about six times in a row before I just left the thing off.

/\/\ac

Comment

Well, thanks for all the input. I'm going to replace the damn spring with a little bit shorter one of the same guage. I'll let you know how it goes.
                      Oh, and I'll stay away from the bumps. Gotta try the j hook idea too.
                      I used a big 13inch handled plyer to pull that suck on. It's a bitch.

Comment

On the 750E it's easier to fit the spring to the stand and frame first, and then get the stand bolted in. The stand itself makes a lever and it's not hard to do.

From the descriptions of 20 foot levers, I'd say it would be worth pulling the bolts and refitting this way

Comment

I would just order both a new spring and bumper from BikeBandit.com
                          They have both in stock and it is sure to correct your issue.

Comment

Re: My center stand flaps on bumps

Originally posted by Brando
                            Sometimes when I hit a nasty bump the center stand will flap down.
                            I'm concerned that it's going to catch the ground someday. I took the spring off and it looks fine. I even bent it a bit to make it shorter but it still flops. Any of you have this problem? Do I need to hook a bunge cord on it? I want to do somethiing that doesn't show. I know...remove it...ha..ha...no I like it too much.
                            Alright, I'll be the funny/bad guy!

Stop riding nude. Proper gear will save your life!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X