Vacuum cleaner eliminates oil dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum cleaner eliminates oil dump

I've had to use this technique twice: Once for a leaking crush washer, and once for a forgotten crush washer at change time. BTW: I use nylon crush washers exclusively now (the diamond profile version from Napa @ .40 CDN). They seal every time without excessive torque.

If you have to remove the oil drain bolt, but don't want to dump perfectly good oil, use a vacuum cleaner on the oil fill port. First, clean around the drain hole - brake cleaner (read directions for hazards) or aerosol WD-40 will wash away grainy stuff. Then, have someone hold the vacuum hose outlet in place while you loosen the oil drain. As you turn out the oil drain bolt the last couple of threads, turn on the vacuum cleaner. You'll hear air gurgling up through the drain hole, but no spill will occur. Reinstall the drain bolt before turning off the vacuum cleaner!

I might have to try this trick....

Not that my drain plug is leaking or anything but just to see my wife's reaction: "Hey, Honey come here and hold this for me please!"
    "Whatever you do don't let it slip out of the hole, or you'll get oil all over your new carpet!"
    Ha Ha Ha can't wait!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
    X