Getting a katana on its centre stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a katana on its centre stand

After getting an original set of pipes for the 82 1100 Katana and replacing the centre stand, I realized how hard the buggers are to get onto the stand.
    I removed the left suspension top bolt and placed a Honda CB250 rear foot peg onto it, re bolting the nut after.
    I now have a fold away hand grip that means I have two points of leaverage, the handle bar and the footpeg.Its now a dream to put on the stand....for a weakling like me!

cheers michael

Great thinking.

Comment

Stands

You dont pull a bike onto its stand you push more with your foot on the stand than pull on the bars/grabrail. Used to amaze owners in the workshop when rthey ask if wee want a hand and put there bike on the centre stand with only one person Try it (sorry to be a smarty)

Comment

It's more straighten the leg then pull with the arm.

Balance the bike on the center stand, get a firm grip on the left hand grip and along the rear, under the seat area with your right hand.
        Place your right foot on the center stand tab.
        Extend your right leg as you "tug" up on the bike.
        Should pop right up.

Same with a Suzuki GN125 or Honda Gold Wing.
        course you could buy a Wing or BMW with the power center stand......
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

ffs- get off it - drop it .....and pick it up next time u gotta get on agin...

its only a Kat ffs:-D
          Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2006, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana
            After getting an original set of pipes for the 82 1100 Katana and replacing the centre stand, I realized how hard the buggers are to get onto the stand.
            I removed the left suspension top bolt and placed a Honda CB250 rear foot peg onto it, re bolting the nut after.
            I now have a fold away hand grip that means I have two points of leaverage, the handle bar and the footpeg.Its now a dream to put on the stand....for a weakling like me!

cheers michael
            Don't it have the original handle?

Comment

I'll reinforce what others have said, only becasue I spent about a year struggleing with it myself, and I consider myself a bright guy! Stand your foot on the center stand with all your weight, you'll barely use the grab bar. Thanks goes to Doug for making me feel like an idiot, but it works like a dream, no effort at all...
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Put the original handle back on!!!
                Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Zim
                  Don't it have the original handle?

Nice avatar
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    I'll reinforce what others have said, only becasue I spent about a year struggleing with it myself, and I consider myself a bright guy! Stand your foot on the center stand with all your weight, you'll barely use the grab bar. Thanks goes to Doug for making me feel like an idiot, but it works like a dream, no effort at all...

You're welcome:-D :-D
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I always put my GK on the center stand when its going to be parked for a while. Easy once you get the hang of it. When I first got it I would lean it part way over on the left leg of the center stand and then push backward. Amazing I didn't end up with it on top of me. I just happened upon the technique cause I was too macho to ask for help with something like that. What a goof ball!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy
                        You dont pull a bike onto its stand you push more with your foot on the stand than pull on the bars/grabrail. Used to amaze owners in the workshop when rthey ask if wee want a hand and put there bike on the centre stand with only one person Try it (sorry to be a smarty)

Hi sharpy , no I agree with you . I train riders and thats the technique I use as well. The Katana has a badly placed centre stand imho so the aid of the grip helps me . Probablt due to lack of muscles

Comment

My GK is harder to get on the centre stand than my old XJR1300. The XJR I could put it on the centre stand before even hopping off the bike.

Comment

If you put one on the other side shock as well you can use them for trick pegs to stand on when you do your parking lot wheelie stunts

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                              If you put one on the other side shock as well you can use them for trick pegs to stand on when you do your parking lot wheelie stunts

Better still, once you have the bike in the upright position, run around to the other side and put the centerstand into position. Then, run around and get back on the bike and let it down slowly onto the centerstand. I can't tell you how easy this has made it for me! Especially since I would always hurt my feet (stupid flip-flops) when trying to put the bike on the centerstand using the traditional method. :razz:

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                              X