Super glue and baking soda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super glue and baking soda

Just watched an interesting video, just google mixing baking soda with super glue. Of course it's just a video and very possibly BS, like a lot of other stuff. That being said he did make it look impressive, and explained the chemical reaction between the 2 made it a lot stronger than the glue alone. The demonstrations he showed made me think possibly a good fix for cracked side covers or broke mounting studs on them. Just looked interesting and wondered if anyone has seen or tried it?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

I used this regularly when building RC airplanes back in the day. The baking soda is basically a filler, which allows fillets and such to be built up. It can also be used to fill gaps between pieces.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

With Gap Filling Crazy glue, and the accelerator fluid, why would you need to go that route? I made a stupid mistake and put a heavy duty screwdriver on my '73 M.G> Midget alternator pulley, and a chunk came out. Using Gap Filing Crazy Glue, I put it on the pulley and the piece, which fit perfectly back together. A couple of drops of accelerator fluid, and it was hard as a rock, I built it up till it looked solid enough. 10K miles on it so far, I don't think it will ever come apart.

Comment

Several demo's in the video, but don't remember anything about filling gaps. Most impressive was they glued 2 like pieces of plastic, to a plastic board, one with the baking soda and one without. When both were cured, they bent the one without baking soda over and the glued joint broke, then bent the other over and the piece of plastic broke and the glued joint was still in tact. I brought it up down at the store and a couple folks had heard of it, but none of them had tried it yet.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Another useful mix is silicone sealer and baking soda.
          Google 'Sugru' and you'll find a commercial variant of it.
          My stator wires are exiting the casing with a repaired grommet using such a mix.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Just watched an interesting video, just google mixing baking soda with super glue. Of course it's just a video and very possibly BS, like a lot of other stuff. That being said he did make it look impressive, and explained the chemical reaction between the 2 made it a lot stronger than the glue alone. The demonstrations he showed made me think possibly a good fix for cracked side covers or broke mounting studs on them. Just looked interesting and wondered if anyone has seen or tried it?
            Tried doing this...........set so fat i couldn't even get a mix going........Maybe using the wrong superglue...............Fail
            82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
            Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
            Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
            Albums

Comment

I use Hamburger Helper (9 parts) and finely ground squirrel meat (1 part).
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

rob.... Go back to sleep !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  I use Hamburger Helper (9 parts) and finely ground squirrel meat (1 part).
                  Squirrel meat. A hazelnut in every bite.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X