Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honda Regulator Install (Dial-up Beware!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Regulator Install (Dial-up Beware!)

Recently Suzi's regulator took a dump, and like others on here, I replaced it with a Honda regulator. from postings on here, the bolt holes would line up, and with some small wire mods, it should work. So one EBAY auction and a week to get it here later, here are the results:

The regulator was a Shindengen Sh538-12 from a CM400 Honda. The wiring was to be connected as follows:
    3 yellows from honda regulator to stator
    1 green ground from honda regulator to Battery Negative post
    1 red from honda regulator to existing red fuse box wiring
    1 black from honda regulator to orange headlight wire in connector at fuse box for sensing. I used that in sans of the tail light wire method to get what I felt was a more accurate voltage from the battery. Here is where I hooked it up at:

Pulling the connector off the fusebox, and using a jewelers screwdriver, I removed the spade terminal from the connector:

Insert the driver in until the little tab gets pushed down, and frees the terminal from the connector:

Using new spades, usually available at radio Shack or other electronic outlets....:

Apparently the maximum allowed image attachments is 4, so i will include the rest in part 2, 3, and 4
    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2006, 10:22 AM.

Part 2

Install the new sensing wire to the original orange wire on the fuseblock, and install the new connector:

Install into connector until you feel it 'click' in place:

After you get the connector in, reinstall the plug back in the fusbox, and get ready for solder time. Tin the wires on both the harness of the bike, and the new regulator. I removed the original plug due to the history of them causing problems, and went with a straight hard-wire:

One big difference in these regulators is size. despite the bolt holes lining up, the honda regulator is noticably bigger. This may or may not be a problem on other bikes:

Comment

Part 3

On the GK, however, it was. the inner mount bolt would not line up, as the regulator would hit the frame.

So, I merely used the mount hole to install the 'extra' ground wire with a new nut and bolt. this wire should go straight to the negative post on the battery. Remember, a good ground makes a happy regulator!:

And this is the installed regulator:

It all fits under the cover, with no interference problems:

Comment

Part 4

Now, no more "Houston, we have a Main b-bus Undervolt!"

I hope this helps give a visual to those who wish to replace the stock regulator with a cheaper, beefier alternative.

Comment

roger 13

thanks for the info, thinking I'll try that myself, good to see how it's done. I was eyeballing the regulator used with a Honda GX20 industrial engine, looks ideal, amy be cheap too.

Obviously you have seen Apollo 13 - great movie. I've always wondered, and maybe someone electrically knowledgeable can answer - what is an electrical "bus" or "buss"?

Comment

A generic description is a circuit that distributes electricity. such as a main board or strip of metal.

Comment

Well, maybe it's time to share my secret. "nearly new" r/r's from suzuki GSX-Rs sell for $15-40 on ebay. That's for R/R's off of 01-06 bikes. They're designed to handle the electrical demands of a fuel injected bike. They also use the exact same electrical hookups as our GS's so there's no hunting a switched positive lead.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
              X