No announcement yet.

Armor All on rubber carb parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Dink. This would be further confirmation that a non-water based rubber preserver should NOT be used as recommended in the carb rebuild info. The mineral oil contained contained in non-water based rubber preservers will degrade the rubber, while water is just a carrier and will evaporate with no problems.

This is why the water based Armor All would be a good choice as a rubber preservative.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
      Thanks, Dink. This would be further confirmation that a non-water based rubber preserver should NOT be used as recommended in the carb rebuild info. The mineral oil contained contained in non-water based rubber preservers will degrade the rubber, while water is just a carrier and will evaporate with no problems.

This is why the water based Armor All would be a good choice as a rubber preservative.
      My carb boots would be contra-indicative of this, as I used Armor-all on mine for the last couple of years and have had to replace them.
      This is why I researched and found rubber grease and use it instead.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
        My carb boots would be contra-indicative of this, as I used Armor-all on mine for the last couple of years and have had to replace them.
        This is why I researched and found rubber grease and use it instead.

Dink
        It sounds like you were using the old solvent (mineral oil) based stuff. How old was the Armor All? If it had been sitting around for 20 years or so you might have had the old stuff with mineral oil in it. It's also possible that someone had a stock of the old stuff, or bought some old stuff at a discount and sold it as new.

The current water based formula is harmless to rubber.

Comment

I am in Parts. I buy direct from the distributer. So I reckon it was the latest stuff.
          I recall that when the "discussion" of Armor-all has come up previously, a chemist who was a member at the time, pointed out that Armor-all was a "short chain polymer" and most(not all) plastics are "long chain polymers" and that this also would lead to the breakdown over time.
          Anyway my own experience swear me off the stuff, I choose to use "alternative" products, and so far so good.

Dink

Comment

armor all

gotta watch armor all cause it will cause plastic to crack i know several people that have used it on there dashs of there cars and they cracked in the summer.

Comment

Iz 'dat 'der "rubber grease" duh stuff on dose profilacticus?

Comment

But seriously, you can go to Napa and buy a spray lube that is used on rubber suspension bushings to soften up and preserve your carb boots.

Comment

I have always used Son of a Gun, besides its a bunch cheaper.

Comment

The product I use for cleaning and soaking rubber parts in is 303 Aerospace protectant.

I tried a number of products and found this one as the best of the bunch.

Comment

Just clean them in soap water & let dry I WOULD not put anything on them

Comment

Working...
                      X