Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip for 81gs550 airbox?

Hey guys (and gals, of course),
    Apparently the PO of my 81 gs550L decided to do some carb work, and when he or she put the airbox distributor( the 4-1 hard plastic POS that gets air into the back of each carb) back on, only the number 1 and 4 carbs were hooked up properly and the middle two werent-- the end result is that the distributor hootus is bent in where it should be flat, and not slipping onto the center cylinders like it should. This is a serious problem, as the center cylinders will be getting raw air. My hand is too big to fit into the back of the air distributor to shove everything into place as it should be, and I'm thinking that those stock hose clamps are bout the most worthless pieces of junk this side of the Atlantic. I can start on one side and work my way across, putting each boot where it should be, but by the time i get to the third one from either direction, the first one I put on comes off. I'm wondering if superior hose clamps will help-- Is this something you guys have come across before? Any tips for getting this buggers back where they belong would be greatly appreciated by me and the number 2 and 3 cylinders.

Nope, it sucks. A lot. it helps if you insert the carbs from the side with them twisted forward 45 degrees. then you can twist them horizontal, hopefully catching all the boots.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Had the same problem...bought new boots and now all is fine and perfectly sealed. Never overtighten these boots they tend to slip and bent (eventually they remain like that)

All the best

Comment

thanks

much appreciated, though it wasnt exactly what i was wanting to hear, it was kind of what i expected to hear.

Comment

unfortunately thats the only option i tried which worked.

Comment

The head side boots are more important, so get the output spigots tipped into the head boots and then you can rock the carbs up and past the airbox boots. it requires MASSIVE effort to do so. Lots of spray sillicone lube helps. Sillicone is important as it doesn't harm the rubber, and should in theory, help keep it soft.
            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

The clamps are designed for a good snug fit without distroying the boots

Comment

Also, after soaking them up with silicone, heat the area with a hairdryer. Warm rubber and plastic flexes better.

Comment

Working...
                X