cleaning master cylinder sight glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning master cylinder sight glass

Not a very exciting topic I'll be the first to admit, but here's a few experiences of what does and does not work to clean off a sight glass that has "clouded over":

1. Rubbing with WD40 or Simple Green on a rag had no effect, good or bad.
    2. Rubbing with mildly abrasive compounds (toothpaste, pumice-type handcleaner) helped a little bit, but not enough.
    3. Tried touching it lightly with a felt bob in a a Dremel tool, lowest speed. The heat IMMEDIATLEY gouged it up the plastic and made ripples in it. In retrospect, perhaps using a lower-speed tool like a drill would have been wiser. But by now it was too late.
    4. Sharpened up a 1/4 in. wide wood chisel and scraped/shaved the window very slowly and with very light pressure. This flattened it out again, and removed the corroded layer so now I can see the fluid level clearly. Please note LIGHT PRESSURE, SMALL SCRAPINGS AT A TIME lest ye go right through and ruin it entirely.
    5. I am going to put some wax or ArmorAll on it to prevent new corrosion and clouding over.

That has now cleaned up a problem that's right in plain sight every time I get on the bike.

That piece of plastic is only 1/4" tick so be carefull. If it is broken IT would be necessary to make a new one as it is not available as a replacement part. IT is just a press fit into the housing

Comment

The sight glass assembly is still available. See link below.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsg01 View Post
        The sight glass assembly is still available. See link below.

http://www.alpha-sports.com/spart.ph...er=11971-33210
        You will notice that the topic of this thread is "Cleaning Master Cylinder Sight Glass", and is not about the oil level lens on the crankcase that you linked.:-)

The master cylinder brake fluid reservoir (sight glass) is no longer available.

Comment

I wonder if a glass shop could fabricate a small piece of glass in the correct size, and then you could pop the old one out and carefully epoxy the glass one in.

My '85 VT700 Shadow had had the sight glass replaced with a dime that way.....nice and shiny, but absolutely worthless for seeing the brake fluid level!

They did actually go out of their way to find a 1985 dime, though...

Comment

Working...
          X