550e starting or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550e starting or not

Got a gs550e last week rode home 280 miles lovely,now when I press starter button engine catches for a split second and dies,if I leave it 1-2 hours same thing happens twice it has fired ok and then runs great until switched off then back to will it wont it start would be gratefull for any suggestions at all](*,)

First question, is the battery fully charged?

Comment

The next time it seems like it cranks for a few seconds and then the starter doesn't turn... Grind your finger on the starter button. If there starter starts turning over again, it is indicatve of a corroded or dirty contact within the switch....

Take the switch apart (2 screws I think) and shoot the inside of it with either WD40 or contact cleaner. Hope it helps.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by BikeNut View Post
        First question, is the battery fully charged?
        yes it is but still firing for a split second then nadda

Comment

I hate to say it, but it might be time to go through the electrical and start checking all your wires and connections. You might have an intermittent bad wire.

Comment

I would work on punctuation too....

I tried but I just can't quite understand your post.
            I'll move on to an easier question.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I try to start the bike it fires as if it is going to run,then the engine just fades away as if I had run out of fuel.I have checked the tank, its 3/4 full but the spark plugs are dry?

Comment

You will need to work logically to figure it out. Do you have spark? Fuel? Air? Compression?

Comment

Got it going, took off carbs, they were coated in a brown gunk,so I cleaned out all carbs and tried again. It did'nt want to go but after recharging the battery she started first time. THANK YOU all for the pointers :grin:

Comment

Working...
                  X