Poor starting tip for GS550 & 750`s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 Won't start

I am rather admittedly clueless when it comes to bike repair but I am trying. I have a 1980 850 GLT that starts when it wants to. The engine turns over but it will not fire up on a consistent basis. I looked at the spark plugs and they look good. The lights come on when I turn the key but as it tries to start you can here the battery wearing down I assume from a lack of charge. Any ideas? I hope its just a new battery and not a starter or generator problem.

Comment

that sounds like an old battery, I often have to use ether (starter fluid) to get the first turns to pull gas. This trick of blowing into the breather tubes seems to work sometimes, this morning wasn't one of them, but I didn't blow very hard. The first time I did it I left a puddle of gas in the drive from the airbox drain tube... doesn't take much

ALSO: PSA --> put those vent tubes tucked back where they belong!! I have left them dangling the two times I tried this trick and when I got on the highway I had surging issues. I knew it was the fuel delivery as I had just resealed my plug wires and it wasn't wet out. I tucked them back in at a stoplight today and everything was happy again.

must pull a vacuum in the carbs by the venturi effect.

Comment

Blowing into the breather tubes has to be one of the best tips i've ever tried. WOW you've made my day. My gs550 was a bear to start when ever it sat for more than a day and since I just got the carbs back on after cleaning and adjusting I wasn't looking forward to trying to find what i missed because it is still hard to start. Now, all I do is blow into the breather tubes and it fires right up. I think I can live with the situation atleast until it warms up outside. Thanks Again

Comment

Nice tip. I'll have to remember it.

Comment

So why are the gs 550's so hard to start, and why would blowing it get it to run, If carbs are clean, gas is good, weather is dry,temp is reasonable ,spark good, battery charged. Why should it not start?

Comment

People fear cleaning pilot jets I think. :-) My 550's start fine.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Nothing to do with being afraid of carbs, mine have been off, stripped and cleaned many times over the years, even re-built with a carb kit once. No difference, leave em a couple of days and both my GS`s and CX500 won`t start unless I use this trick. The GS`s are both 750`s by the way. Don`t know why this should be the case, though they are high mileage bikes as I don`t use a car and ride all year round.
                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                1978 GS750
                1979 GS750 chop
                1979 GS550
                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                1992 XV750 Virago
                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Well.. Then it sounds like your pilot screws are set a little lean. :-) Richen them up a little and you'll never need to blow again.

Comment

So Nerobro, How would someone go about richening the pilot jets. Seems to me their is no adjustment on a bs type carb. From what I seen
                    and rebuilt. But, I am uncertain. So pass this along so I don't have to blow
                    my bike!!!!!!!:shock: [-o<

Thanks bmac

Comment

There are two metal caps on the top of hte carbs on the engine side. Those need to be drilled out. Then there will be screws under there. If you've never taken out those you've never actually cleaned the carbs. :-) Most likely you don't need to adjust them really. Just clean them.

Comment

Hi Nerobro, Oh yea, engine idle needle valves. Been there done that in
                        o'hauls. Still looking for that magic bullet to keep me from blowing my
                        bike when I want to ride. I am confused. I have a 80 550t and a 83 750t
                        both under 10,000 miles on them and they both are like nite and day to
                        start!!!! I am glad I don't have to blow both of them to get started!!!!!!!

I'll keep searching, bmac

Comment

If one puts the petcock on "PRI" (prime) for about fifteen to thirty seconds before hitting the "Start" button a cranky GS will generally start up very easily ... just REMEMBER to put the petcock back on "RUN" after it starts!

The reason this works is that the float bowls lose fuel over time, and cranking the bike over doesn't produce very much vacuum pressure to pull more fuel versus when the bike is already running. The "PRI" setting allows fuel to flow on its own, so plenty will be available as you crank the motor.

This tip has saved me LOTS of aggravation since I learned it, and chances are you can avoid having to play any games blowing on potentially dirty breather hoses by doing it this way instead. In addition, if your bike hasn't run in awhile there might not be very much (or any) fuel in the passages you're blowing on ... so the breather hose trick might not always work if the bike has been sitting a very long time between uses.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
                            I went there to look for it and I was under the impression that one end of the tube was open. I couldn't find it. A combination of no light in the storage area (they turned off the power to the light bulbs 'for safety reasons'), the 0 degree weather, numb fingers, big hands, and a tight space led me to give up. I tried cranking it but I don't think air cooled, carbed engines were meant to start in that kind of cold. I say carbed because my fuel injected car starts up right away.

Oh well, maybe when it gets warmer I'll see if it starts up without having to blow into the tubes.
                            I dont even try starting my 750 till its warm that in my opnion is a lot of your trouble. my bike dosent like to start either my fool proof remedy has been to push start the bike put in second pull the clutch and run like hell its tiring and a little dangerious but works. also wnce running dump carb cleaner in your gas. science youdont want to take them off. also spray carb cleaner in the air box whial runnig. just a few tips good luck

Comment

Hard start 550 t

I meet Robert Barr yesterday and purchased (2) sets of his o'rings. After many trips to different and numerous part stores,hardware stores and bike
                              shops to no avail. Decided to take the next step inwhich members had pointed me to which was the most obvious. ROBERT BARR, he's the one to contact. Forget about searching, he's your one stop shop. Thanks Robert.
                              Now, it's time to install these magic bullets that I have been searching for
                              so I don't have to blow my bike to get it to start!!!!!!!![-o<

bmac

Comment

Okay, so I may be day late and a $ short, but I noticed that no one put up a pic of said "T". Here it is on my carbs, part 80. It doesn't show the other "T".

The tube runs back up under the seat rails. I believe that some members have removed the tubes.

As it's been a week since my bike's been running, I may have to give this a try!:-D

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
                                X