Circus Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circus Act

One of my Cylinder-Head-Cover chrome end caps came loose and was precariously close to falling off and being lost. I did not want to remove the head-cover so I had to resort to access through the two holes at the bottom of each cap. What a PITA it is to do it this way. I had to custom-grind a right angle Philips screwdriver and use this through one hole while peering through the other hole using a dentist’s mirror.
    Ok, so I’m right handed, and necessity dictates that I hold this oddly shaped custom screwdriver, through the access hole with my left hand. My right hand is employed holding the dentist’s mirror and The MAG Light is in my mouth.
    Just to make life even more fun, everything I see in the mirror is reversed while, left-hand and brain fight each other to coordinate this act, all with minuscule tightening movements and repeated repositioning of the tools. Half an hour later, cussing, with beads of perspiration on the brow, the job’s all done. If that cyl head cover has to come off again, I am going to machine myself four polished, billet-aluminum caps with attendant mounts that can be bolted on with SS Allen bolts from the outside.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2007, 01:05 PM.

Aint motorcycles fun!!!

Dink

Comment

lol, i had somethin similar

my clutch cable broke on way back from work.

i had limited tools but i did have an adjustable spanner, so i thightened it up to fit on the lever on the engine and 'rode' home operating the clutch with my calf!!!

was like learning to ride all over again, but badly

Comment

An option you might want to consider for next time:

I use a power screwdriver bit about 2 inches long, with a ratcheting driver. I think my driver is part of an offset screwdriver from Sears, but can't guarantee that at the moment. Just press the bit up into the hole and rachet away. When it gets snug, apply just a bit more torque and you are done.

Oh, you DID put some blue Loc-Tite on the screws, didn't you? 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Remember last Summer's thread about the time my shift lever fell off and disappeared while my son and I were 1/2 hour away from home? That was loads of fun. Now I keep a 2nd one zip tied to my frame just in case.

Comment

Was it 1/2 hour before or after your lost the lever?

Kinda crazy that you can lose that though, mine is designed in such a way that the bolt must be missing before it can be removed and even then its not overly easy...

Comment

Working...
            X