Cleaning your jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your jets

Since spring is coming, I thought I'd post up my 2 tried and true methods to clean up those pesky carb jets.

First, if your bike has been sitting for a few months and is hard to start and/or runs ragged when it starts:
    a) drain and remove your gas tank. Pour that old gas in your cage
    b) get a small plastic container, like a cream cheese. One at a time, drain the float bowls, catching the old gas in the container. Put the drain screws back in.
    c) Rig up a funnel to the gas line and pour (or spray)carb cleaner to fill the bowls.
    d) let it sit a day or so
    e) drain out the carb cleaner per step b
    f) refit the tank and put in a gallon or so of fresh gas
    Start it up

Second,If your carbs are really gunked up,
    a) pull the carbs (after doing a & b above)
    b) carefully strip the carbs one at a time, using an egg carton to keep track of your parts
    c) take a 35mm film container (or similar). Put all the jets from one carb in the container, fill about 1/2 way with carb cleaner and put the top on. Put it in your pocket and go do chores for an hour or so.
    d) take the jets out and put them in the egg carton to dry. Blow thru them to remove cleaner. See step g
    e) put the next set of jets in the container and repeat
    f) clean out all the other passages in carb #1
    g) before putting the jets back in, hold them up to a light and look for shiny brass in the hole. repeat c if they're not clear

The agitation of having the jets in your pocket as you walk around is a great way to clean them without resorting to the smelly, toxic dip. Of course, the second part is for jet cleaning only, refer to the carb cleaning page for all the other stuff you need to do for gunked up carbs.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

I hope when that film container opens in your pocket your not standing near any open flames.

A friend of mine actually uses mag wheel spray cleaner on jets. Its like 2 or 3 acids and really etches them clean. The bottle says dont use on MC wheels and dont wash it down the drain. Nasty stuff.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ever got carb cleaner caught between your ring and finger?
      I would not want to get any of that stuff on the family jewels ......OUCH! :shock:

Comment

I've had good luck using liquid toilet bowl cleaner to get carbs that have sat for years with gas in them clean

Comment

Hell, I just put new gas in, splash in a little seafoam, go hit the highway and hammer it for 20 miles, wide open. Once that motor gets cooking hot and the seafoam runs through there your spring tune up is complete!

If the carbs are really gunked up, a paint can of carb dip is like $14.99 and comes with a basket for dipping parts. Film canisters are for film or you can put your weed in there.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Mmmmmm....weed.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99 View Post
              Mmmmmm....weed.
              This does not suprise me coming from someone in the "evergreen state" I lived on Whidbey Island for a few months and dont really remember much about it. :-D
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                I hope when that film container opens in your pocket your not standing near any open flames.

Never had a problem yet. If you can't properly seal the lid on a film cannister, you probably shouldn't be taking your carbs apart.

And use your shirt pocket.

And don't put your weed in the cannister after you're done. No one needs to do a Richard Pryor
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X