Multiple helmet lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple helmet lock

If you have a helmet lock on the side of your bike, you can easily make a tool that will enable you to lock two helmets. Go to the hardware store and buy a couple of feet of 1/8 inch stranded cable along with a 2 pack of crimpers.

Make a small loop on each end and crimp with a ball peen hammer so that the entire length is about 10 or 11 inches. Before you make the second loop, slide a clear, 3/16 I.D. plastic hose over the portion between the first and second loop.

You can then run the cable between the rings or 2 helmets and hook both loops into the helmet holder. You can make this little rig in about 10 minutes and it will cost about $2.50. By the way, even though 1/8 strand cable is pretty thin, it's really hard to cut through without a bolt cutter. Also, when it's not in use, you can leave it in the helmet holder and it won't get in the way at all.:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Use a longer piece of cable and you can secure your riding jacket as well.

Comment

I use a 1/4" cycle cable... through the rear wheel, 2 jacket sleeves, 2 helmets (through the visor hole) & on the lock.

I think I loop it around the rear wheel & pas back through itself when the full load is on it...

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Quarter inch

I realize 1/8 inch seems thin but I used it for a couple of reasons. It's really pliable and easy to store. Also, when I shortened the original piece, it was very hard to cut through. If anyone really decides they want the helmet, they'll get it anyway by cutting through the ring or the strap.

Comment

Not 100% on topic but I was curious about the location of the helmet lock on my '78 GS550E with the side opening seat. After looking in the forums, many people said it's on the left side of the bike. I took a look at my bike and saw some kind of metal clip below the passenger seat on the right side and deduced that that was it. Except I want to make sure that's really it before I go using it.

Also hate to threadjack, but does anyone know a place that sells decent cargo nets?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
            Not 100% on topic but I was curious about the location of the helmet lock on my '78 GS550E with the side opening seat. After looking in the forums, many people said it's on the left side of the bike. I took a look at my bike and saw some kind of metal clip below the passenger seat on the right side and deduced that that was it. Except I want to make sure that's really it before I go using it.

Also hate to threadjack, but does anyone know a place that sells decent cargo nets?
            I think with the flip-up seat like that the helmet lock isn't directly a lock at all, it's just some metal tangs which are secured when the seat it locked. At least that's how it is on my father-in-law's 78 GS 750.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              I think with the flip-up seat like that the helmet lock isn't directly a lock at all, it's just some metal tangs which are secured when the seat it locked. At least that's how it is on my father-in-law's 78 GS 750.
              That's what mine is.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                Bingo! That's the way they first appeared, as far as I remember.

Comment

The stock helmet locks on my GT550 and GS650G both accomodated two helmets. Turn the key up to release the top helmet, or down to release the bottom helmet. I think that the locks are still available from Suzuki, and they often appear on Ebay. And the after market has similar ones, which are also available on Ebay.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                  X