No announcement yet.

COLORTUNE/CARBTUNE Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact I running 33MM smoothies instead of CVs.
    Greg B.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
      I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact I running 33MM smoothies instead of CVs.
      Greg B.
      No, it shouldn't matter. You shouldn't have to turn it upside down!:shock: Something's not right. Try sucking on each tube to see if you can get a reading. If no reading, suck on the barbs. If the tool checks out to be ok, your synch adjusters may need to be "centered" so that you have equal adjustment in and out.

Let us know what you find.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I'll try that. However, IIRC, the #3 carb is the master, i.e. not adjustable. Could it be that my dampers are too long? I cut the short damper tube into four equal lengths, and installed them 10cm from the ends as per the instructions.
        Greg B.
        The Three Horsemen
        '83 GS1100ES
        ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
          I'll try that. However, IIRC, the #3 carb is the master, i.e. not adjustable. Could it be that my dampers are too long? I cut the short damper tube into four equal lengths, and installed them 10cm from the ends as per the instructions.
          Greg B.
          I believe on all the VM carbs each carb is independently adjustable. At least that is how it is with the VM26's, 28's, and 29's.

Did you try sucking on the tubes?
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Yes, I did. And the tool responded as it should. So I'm really at a loss as to what's going on. Hooked it back up and same results. No reading unless I turn it upside down.
            As for the carbs, if I take the covers off, #s 1,2,& 4 have an adjuster screw with a locknut. #3 carb doesn't, just a nonadjustable linkage. Unless I can pivot the entire linkage on the shaft. But if I do that, it will raise the entire slide up.
            Also I just hooked up my Colortune, and I'm having a heck of a time getting that right too. Seems I'm getting a weak spark on #4, but if I switch wires around it doesn't seem to follow the wire. I'm sure my coils are good, new Dynas, plus new wires and plugs. Honestly it was running better before I switched out the coils.
            Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh well, I'll just keep at it until I get it right.
            Just for info, its got a 1229 displacement, GSXR cams, timed at, if I remember right, 106 intake, 105 exhaust. 33mm Mikuni's, 30 pilots, 137.5 mains, needles at middle groove. Oh, slides are 1.50.
            Greg B.
            The Three Horsemen
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

I've never messed with 33's. I would post in the tech section...someone will help you.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I saw this earlier today on the Carbtune website. I wouldn't think it would apply to a GS, but hey, who knows. A starting place, if nothing else?

The manometer must be used vertically for a scale starting at 8cmHg (centimetres of mercury. 1 inch=2.5cm 1cm=0.4inches) and going to 42cmHg. Most bikes have readings higher than 8cmHg, but some bikes such as R-series BMWs and two strokes can have readings lower than this.
                To get a reading below 8cmHg remove the plastic cable clip from the top cap and insert it in the bottom cap. Hang the Carbtune II upside-down. Ignore the scale figures. Zero will now be around 17cmHg on the scale but the full width red graduations will still be 2cmHg.

Comment

Working...
                X