Laser Chain Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laser Chain Alignment

I saw a link to a laser tool for chain alignment on another forum recently. I thought it was a neat idea, but not worth the $180 they wanted for it. But it got me thinking, and today when I put new tires on the bike, I got out the cheap laser level I got a couple years ago. It has pins you press into the wall to hold it in place so you can mark the wall when hanging stuff. I wedged some old valve stem seals in place to hold the pins out, then set them in place up against the inside of the chain's side plates, then turned on the laser. A nice red laser line appeared running down the chain. I adjusted the tension on the chain, paying attention to the laser as I did. It is very sensitive to the adjusters, very accurate once you get the hang of placing it on the chain and holding it level, and a lot cheaper than $180. My next step will be to fabricate some type of adapter to make it easier to use.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

any pictures, kinda hard to imagine all this.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Nice idea! laser levels, especially the really cheap "worthless" kind, are so inexpensive these days that you could probably fabricate a custom alignment tool pretty easily. It might even be easier to start with one of those small slim laser pens or keychains.

Of course, riding a shaftie I have little need of this little gem, but in the next month I'm planning to put a new set of sprockets and a chain (currently sitting in my garage) on my 550L before I sell it. I think perhaps I'll use your great idea to advantage! Once I've got it made you're welcome to take it off my hands and use it on your bikes, Ryan!

Regards,

Comment

Neat idea. Next time I'm under there with the axle loose I'll see what I can do. I've got a laser level with a magnetic base...
        Mark Fisher
        sigpic
        ..............................27 years

Comment

Chain alignment is important! I ruined a chain and both cogs when I poorly aligned a chain on the '81 many moons ago. You can also use the string alignment method, but a laser sounds much easier.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have seen guys use a lazer lever for this and wheel alignment.
            Next time I need to do it, I may experiment myself.

Comment

Katman's Laser Alignment System

Here is Katman's laser alignment setup:

You'll need to scroll approx. 2/3 down the page.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks slick enough.

Comment

Working...
              X