Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb cleaning

Greetings all,

I have been working on my bike a little here and there, and cleaning an old set of carbs as practice to work on a good set. while doing this I discovered alot of nooks and cranys and little holes for stuff to get stuck in. I made a couple of "carb picks" to assist in cleaning the carbs. They work great. They are made from SS wire 1 is .024 wire and the other is .031 wire. I took a picture of the and posted them in my sig. block. Take a look and if you like what you see, I'll make some for anybody who wants them. Just send me a 50 cent pice to cover postage. PM me and i'll give you my address.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

I don't suggest using SS as this is much harder than brass or aluminum. This will scratch up the orifices, and completely change the flow behavior.

If you're going to snake small orifices, you should only be using copper wire. I have found that fine multistrand wire can be combined into any number of strands to create different cleaner sizes.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

You make a good point. I tried copper and found it to be too soft. I took my time and didn't strongarm it and had pretty good results. Anyway, I'm just sharing what worked for me.

Andy
      1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
      1984 GS1100GK
      1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
      1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
      1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
        I tried copper and found it to be too soft.
        Whatever you use, it only needs to be harder than the (hopefully) softened gunk that is stuck in there.
        Should also be softer than the brass, that's why copper works so well.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the best cleaner tool i've used is a guitar string the bass string of the guitar are brass or copper wound over steel.you can get them in many sizes oh and they're ribbed for her pleas...for the carbs tuff deposits

Comment

andy, how about pipe cleaners? i use those to clean my airbrushes. also, harbor freight tools sells a bag full of different size cleaning brushes for paint sprayers, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X