How to flush eng before teardown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to flush eng before teardown?

I'd like to drag this motor into the basement for discovery/rebuild in a warm space rather than shivering out in the garage this winter... But I don't want to stink out the house which is especially possible due to the forced hot air supply being right next to basement shop.
    Is there something I could/should flush it out with now that I've drained the oil? Isospropyl Alcohol even? Would that wreak havoc with seals and stuff?

(If i ruin my relationship with my wife - by stinking out the house - I'll be really cold this winter.)
    Thanks, JC

The engine itself doesn't smell that bad in the house. Be sure to take the carbs and anything to do with gas off before taking it into the house. Drain the oil out of all the cracks and crannies by tipping it into different positions, then upright, then drain etc., and be sure to be prepared for oil on the rug. I found the oil stains on the living room carpet more incriminating than any smell....
    S.

Comment

When your wife gets sick of it laying around the house she will toss the whole thing into some unused closet somewhere with absolutely no regard for the way it should go back together. All the work you did to keep all the bits and pieces in carefully laid out perfect order with all the valves and bearings and such in little boxes so you can put it back together exactly the way it came apart will be for nothing.
      This is true for cameras, TVs, anything else you disassemble in the living room.
      It's her garage, not yours.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, my basement shop is MY area... woodworking, household repairshop, sculpting, design and drafting specific zone, but...
        As you said "All the work you did to keep all the bits and pieces in carefully laid out perfect order"...
        Maybe I'll just buy a heater for the garage.

Comment

Smells through out the house and even in the garage get me in deep doo doo.

Gas and exhaust fumes are bad but paint overspray and smell are really bad and seem to linger the longest.

I have a nice workshop at the back of the basement and I can rig a forced air extraction system to the window but i still seem to get fumes everywhere. I daren't even try to have a stogie down there as it is sure to get into the vent system. She who must be obeyed can be gone for a whole weekend and come back Sunday night and blast me for a tiny paint job I did Friday night. Her schnozola is that sensitive

As mentioned, the best thing to do is get rid of the carbs and anything that reeks of gas. If you degrease the block outside and powerwash before bringing it in that will help too.

Grab a couple of cans of extra strength air freshner and use liberally in your work area. I would also recommend scented candles but you might accidentally set the place on fire so use with great caution. Flame around combustables.....big no no

The other thing I find to keep them happy is change out of your wrenching clothes prior to going back into her presence and hose yourself down with a good scented degreaser soap and get all the oil out of your pores. It goes without saying don't try for any sugar unless you're smelling daisy fresh!

Take her out for a nice meal once in awhile and a cheap bunch o flowers every now and then and you might just get away with it.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
          Spyug.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
            Well, my basement shop is MY area... woodworking, household repairshop, sculpting, design and drafting specific zone, but...
            As you said "All the work you did to keep all the bits and pieces in carefully laid out perfect order"...
            Maybe I'll just buy a heater for the garage.

Shesh you HAVE a garage and arent using it?? You MUST be rich...heheheh Im in the same boat as you. bondo fumes, carb cleaner and parts cleaner fumes, etc etc...I DO paint outside or in the shed cos even I cant stand that smell.

Comment

Buy a heater for garage. I spent last two mornings insulating a work area in back of detached garage so I can get out (away) to my bikes. You will eventually need heat to work on something in garage and might as well bite bullet. Plus a heated garage is nice to escape to when significant other gets upset at some boneheaded thing that you have done in the house. Keeping the peace (piece?!!) is worth it.

Comment

Well, I think I've got it covered.
                I showed up unannounced to assist her as she brought all threee young'ns to thier first dentist appointment.
                I think I even made points with the dental hygenist on that one.\\/

Thanks for suggestions. (But the airfreshener thing is so not me... she'd undoubtedly think I was down there hitting the hash-pipe.)

Comment

"But the airfreshener thing is so not me... she'd undoubtedly think I was down there hitting the hash-pipe" ROFL
                  that sounds SOOOO like my EX Thing is she would be right LOL:-D

Comment

Hello, did someone say "hash pipe"?
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X