Fabricating a topbox carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabricating a topbox carrier

Here is a summary and some pictures of a rear carrier for a top box that I put together for my GS1000G. Thanks to Mr BassCliff for the pictures and measurements of his carrier he shared with me.
    Just added a note on something to look out for.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2007, 06:10 AM. Reason: Heading change & update link

Very nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pics when you have it mounted to the bike!

Regards,

Comment

Is there anything you can't do?????? Lol. Good work

Comment

Mr. Matchless,

Since you used solid rod, this may not be an issue. On my carrier, the supports (diagonal bars) for the rack are on either side of the rear chassis mount. On your carrier they are both behind the rear chassis mount. This means the weight of the entire box is concentrated on one single point (on each side) of the tubing behind the support point (chassis mount). Let's see if the attachment shows what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm talking about nothing.

Thanks for the great write-up. I'm very impressed with your manufacturing skills!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2007, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr BassCliff,
          You are correct and what happened there is that I had to move the top part of the frame back a bit to accommodate the open lid from not hanging on my sissy bar. I may have to put another bracket just inside of the flasher bolt if the bar shows a tendency to bend there. As this is not too hard to build, especially now having a prototype, I may even do a MK2 model later.
          Thanks for the observation, it is especially important that anyone else intending to build one notes this. I will add a note in the how to as well.
          I am going to powdercoat this one in black as my welding with an old arc welder on the floor of my garage is not the most cosmetically pleasing out there and may not look too good in chrome.
          If I need to make up a MK2 model I will spend more time on the welding or have it professionally welded, ready for chroming and can then improve or change some initial approaches.
          I have to get a set of sidebags at some stage and may need to have mountings for them.

Comment

Working...
          X