Ignition key matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition key matching

So, you have a bike but don't have the original key? Yes, I had this problem. I had a key that fit the gas tank and helmet locks but didn't fit the ignition. At first I thought the ignition was frozen. I brought the gas cap, helmet locks and the ignition (which I removed from the bike, had it down to just the tumbler) to a locksmith. $30 later they informed me that the ignition had never fit that key, but now it did! So, get your stuff to a locksmith and they can key the ignition to fit your key for a reasonable price, much better than replacing the whole ignition

J I do believe that there is a key code on all of those parts, by which you could have just as easily (and possibly cheaper) procurred a key from your local Dealership...at least i thought i read something about that not too long ago..

Comment

I think, in many cases, you are right. But, for example, the ignition on my bike is not original and didn't match the rest of the bike. I'm not sure the ignition matches my VIN. So, ordering a new key by VIN would have been useless. also, I am not sure how cheap getting keys that was really is.
      This solution worked for me. My initial thought were that I had a frozen tumbler. They were going to repair that. Then they realized the ignition did not match my key at all. So, they arranged that it id for $30. Money well spent in my case.

Comment

bike key

I have the original key but wanted a spare so I took it to a locksmith who read the number off the key and looked it upon his computer and made a key by the numbers. He said that the same number is most likely on one or all of the locks on the bike. I haven't looked yet but that's good to know. :-D
        Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Jbeaber View Post
          I think, in many cases, you are right. But, for example, the ignition on my bike is not original and didn't match the rest of the bike. I'm not sure the ignition matches my VIN. So, ordering a new key by VIN would have been useless. also, I am not sure how cheap getting keys that was really is.
          This solution worked for me. My initial thought were that I had a frozen tumbler. They were going to repair that. Then they realized the ignition did not match my key at all. So, they arranged that it id for $30. Money well spent in my case.
          My bike came with a key, but it is getting worn, and I wanted to have a spare cut from the numbers ... I called around to a couple of locksmiths, who all wanted $25 to do it ... so you could have saved a whopping $5\\/

Comment

the older bikes can use a ford key blank. it just needs to be milled to the same pattern as your old key. as your key wares out you can use keys from other bikes that have a close pattern.

it is shocking as to how easy it is to make a spair key. a dermel and a old ford key. trace the pattern and start milling.

if you remove the tumbler on a lock you will see plates or pins. you just cut the key to the opposed of the plates or pins. then you have a new key for it. all the pins will be in when you put the key in.

Comment

Most locksmiths have their key machines set to adjust for worn keys

Comment

Working...
              X