gasket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gasket removal

I've pulled the cylinders off the '80 750 project I've started.
    Parts of the base gasket are STUCK on! I've tried leaving oil soak, penetrating oil--no luck. I've tried an xacto blade and I'm taking small bits of aluminum on occasion--not good ](*,) . Anyone faced this kind of ancient demon gasket material that's integrated like rock onto the alum of the cylinders, and if so, how the heck did you get it off without scoring the cylinders?????????!

the 3m "roloc" abrasive wheels work well.

I've used the yellow bristle discs with good success. Just don't go too fast, and spend about the same amount of time everywhere. it doesn't dig into the aluminum.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Heat helps soften them up. I have needed to resort to a propane torch and scraping tool to get some stubborn gaskets off.

Comment

I like this idea. I wonder why I never thought of it. Are you talking almost enough to burn them, or just enough to make the rock hard gasket soft and pliable?

Originally posted by cleonard View Post
        Heat helps soften them up. I have needed to resort to a propane torch and scraping tool to get some stubborn gaskets off.
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

You can buy 'special' solvents for loosening up old gaskets (I can't remember a brand name but it's advertised for the job). Or.... try paint stripper - it's the same stuff and a lot cheaper.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

throttle body or carb cleaner are great that they will disolve almost anything, i'd be afraid of using the roloc wheel just incase it digs but i use a razor blade and scuff pads for almost everything, it'll take some time but works.

Comment

this is the stuff. its cheap and will take gaskets off in a day.

Comment

Try using a metal edge that is softer than the aluminum. I.e. a piece of copper pipe? cut out a bit of it and flatten it with a hammer or so, may be even use a bastard file to put an edge on it a scrape away. or use a filled penny? or may be nickel? Pennies are fine because most actualy have a Zinc core, which is very soft too.

Comment

the permatex gasket remover is good. You can also try an xacto and some lighter fluid to soften the gasket - I tried that on my head and it took quite a while but worked. I also had to wet sand some parts. But definitely try the permatex, it will pretty much dissolve anything that isn't metal!

Comment

Gasket remover

Gremlin &79550L are correct.My 81 had 8k when i removed all covers last winter permatex gasket remover and $5.00 gasket scraper,Perfect no gouges. also for some hard to get spots. take a new razor blade and recurve it by, draging it backwards in one direction on glass mirror or window. also the blade works good at removeing pinstripe or glue. permatex works best the longer it sits. BEWARE also will remove paint.SAN.

Comment

Dremel Tool

I just had the same experience on my 81 1000G. Get yourself a Dremel Tool and 3 or 4 packs of 511E buffing wheels (looks like scotch brite). A light touch takes the base and head gasket material right off and removes virtually no aluminum. I'd forget the gasket remover. Didn't even phase either gasket type. There is also a 512E but they are a bit too fine and don't work as quickly. Try to keep the wheel parallel with the edge of the surface you are woring on. Makes them last longer. Stuff rags in open holes so the fibers don't get down in the engine. We're talking minutes instead of hours.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2008, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X