Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning black plastics

Hi,
    Just a quick tip. To revive the faded black plastic parts, such as the speedo cluster housing and the cover on the back brake caliper etc, just coat carefully with liquid black shoe polish. Use a small artists brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

It also works very well on car black plastic bumpers that tend to fade over time. The durability is quite outstanding and a layer on 'old' but virgin plastic (no other coats of something else or paint) can last for quite a few years even. It also seems to protect the plastic from further sun damage as well.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2008, 01:41 AM.

Hmm gonna have to try that. Anything but amor all.

Comment

S-100 Engine brighter (black) works on plastics and black engines to revive the color. Available at Harley Shops. About 7 bucks a can.

Comment

Originally posted by USMC_SGT View Post
        Hmm gonna have to try that. Anything but amor all.

how abouts M-New. hadn't thought about that in about twenty years. Man your fruit salad looks strange with army and Marine Corps stuff mixed together. I did a couple of years in the NG prior to the USMC and I had to explain the Army service ribbon at every inspection.....cc

Comment

Try using CLEAR PVC, CPVC, or ABS Cleaner. It's very cheap, You can get it in a 8 oz. can, and it comes with a small aplicator wand. It darkens the black plastic, as well as shines it, in one step. Just remember to get Clear. If not and you use a different color (I think it comes in blue and orange besides clear) your black plastic will look colored over. :shock: Don't ask me how I know.

Comment

They will never accuse the Army of being "under-colorful" for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kb9lae View Post
              CLEAR PVC, CPVC, or ABS Cleaner. It's very cheap, You can get it in a 8 oz. can...
              Where is it sold, just at a hardware place?

Comment

Pretty much any silicon based spray will clean up black plastics a treat i've been using a release agent i "aquired" from work years ago just dont get it on anything you intend to spray paint afterwards !

Comment

Originally posted by kb9lae View Post
                  Try using CLEAR PVC, CPVC, or ABS Cleaner. It's very cheap, You can get it in a 8 oz. can, and it comes with a small aplicator wand. It darkens the black plastic, as well as shines it, in one step. Just remember to get Clear. If not and you use a different color (I think it comes in blue and orange besides clear) your black plastic will look colored over. :shock: Don't ask me how I know.
                  And for god sakes dont ever get that purple stuff (or any of them for that matter) in your eye. Ask me how *I* know...lol

Comment

Working...
                  X