old bike starting trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old bike starting trick

As with this forum I also belong to motorcycleforum.com. I was reading through the recent post on there and ran into this neat little trick.

If you are having trouble starting your bike try this. With the key on the run position. Also pull the choke out. Put the kill switch to off, then crank the engine 2 or 3 times. After that put the kill switch to run and and crank again, the bike should start up. The only precaution to this of course if flooding the carbs and getting fuel in the crank case if the carbs are already flooded.

Cory

Not everything in life is free

My GS won't crank with the kill switch off. Any reasoning behind this theory? If it's not firing, then what difference did the spark make? I'm become a fan of the bump start lately when my battery doesn't feel well.

Comment

What is the bump start? Didn't know the GS didn't crank with the switch on off. I bet the same thing can be accomplished with cranking the throttle a few times as well. Or pushing the start button, but not letting the bike start. Same as if one was trying to get the oil into the cylinder, but not letting the bike startup entirely.

Cory

Comment

I agree with the concept, but the GS-series bikes don't crank with the kill switch turned OFF.

p_s, the difference is sort of like priming it. By not firing the plugs, you will draw some excess fuel into the chambers, hopefully making it easier to start.

In reality, when the bike gets this hard to start (especially when cold), just adjust the valves and make sure your charging system and battery are in good shape. Then you might feel that you can't get your thumb off the starter button quick enough. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
          What is the bump start?
          The bump start or push start is when you put the bike in gear (I like 2nd), pull the clutch, push it, then let out the clutch and quickly pull it back in. There are variations. Sometimes you walk alongside the bike and jump on as you let out the clutch. Sometimes you have a friend push. On my 550 I duckwalk the bike and it works on the 2nd try usually. On an 1100 it might be more effort. It helps if the problem is a weak battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I agree with the concept, but the GS-series bikes don't crank with the kill switch turned OFF.
            The ones with kick starters do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
              What is the bump start?

Cory
              Before I fixed my starter wiring, the only way I could start the bike cold was by bump starting. For some reason the kick doesn't do much when the bike is cold.

Basically I would pull in the clutch while in first gear and the bike "on" and roll down my driveway. Halfway down I let out the clutch for a second or two and pull it back in, and by the time I get to the street the bike usually has started running. Not really a practical way for a lot of people, but I live in a new, quiet neighborhood with really wide streets, and an angled driveway so I don't have traffic to worry about and I can pick up enough speed in short space.

You really haven't lived until you've bump started for the first time.

Comment

oh yeah, we call that compression starting, sorry just a term misunderstanding.

Cory

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                  Sometimes you walk alongside the bike and jump on as you let out the clutch. Sometimes you have a friend push. On my 550 I duckwalk the bike and it works on the 2nd try usually. On an 1100 it might be more effort. It helps if the problem is a weak battery.
                  On the 1100, much safer to sit on the bike and either duckwalk down a slope, or have a friend push. rather than running alongside....the bikes have been known to 'get away' when they suddenly fire up, even in second gear.
                  Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                    On the 1100, much safer to sit on the bike and either duckwalk down a slope, or have a friend push. rather than running alongside....the bikes have been known to 'get away' when they suddenly fire up, even in second gear.
                    Tony.
                    No - see- you jump on it sidesaddle first and then let the clutch out

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                      No - see- you jump on it sidesaddle first and then let the clutch out
                      Ah yes, option #3, a.k.a. the Luxembourg method.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I read this elsewhere on the GS Resources, but it's worth repeating: another good trick is to blow some air into the carb breather hoses. I don't know the exact reason for this, but the debate I read seemed to at least agree that fuel got pushed SOMEwhere. This worked on both ms GSS650's that had sat all winter. Quick puff into each hose, and VROOOOM first try!

Comment

i agre

with suzy q here i have had it get away and it aint pretty .. i always start mine 2 nd gear . (when starter not working...)on the bike. the once i had to push it by my self i slipped and had to pick it up.. that sucked .. the bike that got a way was a dirt bike whence i was a kid. i ate the dirt that day.. and it sucked more ..

Comment

kungpao has it, I learned this puff of air trick a year or so ago and it has been a lifesaver!! I used to have to use ether nearly every day and with this trick I never need it.

I think it pushes gas up thru all the circuits, priming the carbs rich for starting.

or get your valves in order as mentioned above, but I am guilty of not myself...

Comment

What about the old trick of holding on to a neighbors car for a few feet, and then letting go and popping the clutch?

Comment

Working...
                              X