• Show
Clear All

Electrolysis for rusty parts....

I tried it, WOW!

Before:

After:

This took about two hours.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Wow very impressive! Is this something you can do yourself? If so, how?

Comment

outstanding results. i have had pretty good success with small parts and the bucket method as well.......cc

Comment

Originally posted by ggreenfield View Post
        Wow very impressive! Is this something you can do yourself? If so, how?
        Very easy, a little Washing Soda, the hard part was finding that.
        Bucket, battery charger, and I used an old piece of steel fencing for an anode.

It is explained pretty well here:

I used the old fence material anode wrapped all the way around the bucket, that way it cleans on all sides at once.

All the rust ends up floating on the top like pond scum.

I see the explanation is gone, here's a layman's version.

Mix a little washing soda in some water, maybe a tablespoon per gallon or so. Carbonate of soda, it's available at swimming pool places also.
        Put the part to clean in the water, with a connection to the negative lead on a battery charger. It has to be an old non-automatic charger, an automatic one just shuts off as a bucket of water doesn't have the little bit of voltage it takes to keep an automatic charger charging. A piece of mild steel, with no paint or anything will serve as the sacrificial anode, it gets connected to the positive lead of the charger. Electrons flow from negative to positive, and they take a bit of rust along with them as they go. You can see tiny bubbles moving around, that means it's working. Eventually the bubbles get all rusty, that's a good sign. The rust ends up on the anode, or floating around trapped in the bubbles. After a while the bubbles will slow down or stop, take the anode out and hit it with a grinder to get some clean metal surface to conduct more electricity.
        Sometimes the parts get a black coating on them, I think but not sure that will happen a lot less if the water is replaced once in a while when it gets dirty, also using a slow rate on the charger seems to reduce this.
        Last edited by tkent02; 11-13-2010, 06:17 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Washing soda, while it took me a damn long while to find it, simply because i was looking in the wrong places, can be found in the laundry detergent aisle at just about any big grocers. I made the mistake of thinking it was something more special than it really is, went around asking people at various places, and was fed nothing short of deer in headlights looks. "We have BAKING soda...:shock:"

Comment

I got a question, how in the hell did you cam get that rusted in the first place??? lol.

Comment

Pardon???

Comment

LOL thats funny

Comment

That is a very good link Tkent02. It's the first explanation that I've read that makes perfect sense. I think I'm going to try it.

Comment

Its a great thread, great explaination, and simple as Pah.....Just assure you get your batt charger leads right, or you might end up with a "whatever your anode is made out of" Plated part.

Comment

Um... I beg to differ, i've spent a lot of time in triple digits lol

Comment

lmao kent u keep putting these states out there and then someone shows up from that state lmao too funny

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02
                          It came from Ohio.
                          No one rides fast enough in Ohio to keep things from rusting.
                          No, really. He's right! It came from Ohio. Can I give you the rest of the engine? Good boat anchor!

Comment

Hey Tom, I am planning to hunt up a 79 850 top end at some point to do this same mod to an extra motor i have, what all do i need? Head jugs, pistons and thats it? Or more?

Comment

Oh sweet! I have a spare 750 head that i picked up on fleabay, so i just need to rebuild it. I had originally thought to do a Wiseco kit on it, but after reading a bit, was worried that the boring would be kinda precarious, as you lose a bit of the already pretty thin cylinder walls, from what i read this can lead to overheating. It gets pretty stupid hot around here, so this is something i worry about. Also, im not sure, but wouldnt you actually get a bigger displacement from using the actual 850 jugs and pistons vs the bore kit? i believe the bore kit yeilds 844cc what is the 850 stock size? Also, are the cams from the 79 850 and pre 80 750s the same? I know from Steve telling me that the cam timing of the later 850s were changed a bit, but that would only have to do with the sprockets right?

Comment

Working...
                              X