No announcement yet.

Fuse block tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL... I love this tutorial. Nicely done uud!

This one will be on my back burner for now as I'm dealing with some more pressing matters, but will definitely keep this in mind for the future. I know there was a fusebox thread somewhere, hopefully someone will post one up that seems to work well and has a few extra spaces for horn/coil/whatever mods! I haven't seen anything locally.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
      hopefully someone will post one up that seems to work well and has a few extra spaces for horn/coil/whatever mods!
      Well, there it is.
      I bet someone else has done one before but it's buried somewhere in the annals of GSR history.

Comment

I found it, I think it was page 2 or 3 of the coil relay mod thread. I was looking around a bit on my own. I liked this one because it has the option of two inputs like you suggested:

"The AP-2 fuse panel is identical to the AP-1 panel with the exception that the AP-2 is divided into two electrical sections. The main section contains three fuses and feeds five outputs while the second section has two fuses and three outputs. The advantage of having two sections allows the enthusiast to have fused power available for devices which need constant battery power and those which need to be switched “OFF” with the ignition key. The AP-2 can handle a maximum of 60 amperes divided into a 40 ampere and 20 ampere section."

It's kinda pricey, and even though it says it has 8 outputs, I'm not sure how it works to have outputs sharing fuses ??? ALso not sure that's enough enough to run everything I would need it to run, to function as a normal fuse block and to supply power to the future add on relays.

Comment

Well, the one I bought came from a chain auto parts store and cost seven dollars. It only had one common hot lead, though, but inline fuses were only a couple of bucks apiece. For what it's worth.

I guess it just depends on what you want to come on with the switch.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2008, 08:50 AM. Reason: cheerios.

Comment

Yep! To be honest I have no idea why we have an always hot wire (not that there isn't a good reason, I'm sure there is, I'm just no electrical guy by any means). Looks like I'd only need one 15 amp inline fuse for the red wire that runs from pos term to rectifier and ignition switch. It also splits to a 10amp fuse but it terminates, so I'm assuming for now that's an extra accessory fuse or something.

This could be a lot of fun! Thanks again for your tutorial. I love this site =]

Comment

Since a fuse block like the one I got cost only seven bucks, and the one you linked to cost freakin sixty, a fella could, if so inclined, take a gentle saw to one cheap block and cut, say, the left most set of fuse holes off. Then, buy a second fuse block of the same make, cut the right most fuse holes off, liberally apply a non-conductive epoxy to the two , stick em together, and you've got yourself a compete fuse block with two separate leads.
              Just a thought...

Or get the stackable in-line fuses like some of the others have and make a block to your own liking.

Comment

Let this be a warning.
                I got stranded last night.
                Why?

The fire fuse fell out. Didn't burn out-- it fell out.

The side of the fuse block that wasn't powering anything, I had filled with spares.

They had vibrated out as well.

So.... be warned.

Comment

Just wanted to post up some other fuse box options

Power center 8
                  Nice because it has 2 power feeds. 2 fuses on one feed. 6 on the other
                  Same size as the AP-2

I really like these metri-pack ATM fuse holders.
                  They come in 1 or 3 fuse blocks for $4-$7

Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Wow. That's a much better option.

Comment

Here's some more.

WiringProducts is the online place to buy automotive wiring & electrical supplies. Many of our wiring products are made in the USA. We stock thousands of electrical parts such as wire, electrical supplies, automotive wire, fuse blocks, battery cable, wire terminals, automotive electrical, circuit breakers, wire looms.

Comment

Here's the one that I did this spring after being left on the side of the expressway and pushing it 1 1/2 km to the next exit. I've never had a problem with fuses falling out. There's an inline main fuse, and 6 fused circuits. I only use 3, but one will be for power to my GPS at some point.

Comment

Fuse block

I just did the fuse block changeover and the main difference in my system is that I used a relay to provide power to the fuses. Doing that allows the fuses to be off until the ignition is turned on. Got more volts coming out of the fuse box too.
                          1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
                            I just did the fuse block changeover and the main difference in my system is that I used a relay to provide power to the fuses. Doing that allows the fuses to be off until the ignition is turned on. Got more volts coming out of the fuse box too.

Excellent idea and that will eliminate the usual voltage drop at the ignition switch and may even make it unnecessary to do coil an headlight relay modfications in some cases where the wiring and connectors are good.

Comment

Working...
                            X