520 Chain/Sprocket Cross Reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For any who are interested in converting over to a 520 setup, finding parts can be a pain. So, I've compiled a list of models that share the bolt pattern of my GS's, and most other chain drive GS models as well I believe. This list includes Street bikes, Dirt bikes, and ATVs. Enjoy.

Excellent !!

Comment

Thanks! Nice resource.

Comment

How many link chain is in with this conversion?Thanks

Comment

Not sure actually, I always end up buying too much, and chopping off the excess. I'll be doing exactly that sometime this week though, and will let you know what I end up with. I think the sprockets I got are 15x42, so the length will be for that combo on an 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom View Post
            Not sure actually, I always end up buying too much, and chopping off the excess. I'll be doing exactly that sometime this week though, and will let you know what I end up with. I think the sprockets I got are 15x42, so the length will be for that combo on an 1100.
            If you are doing a 520 conversion to an 1100 you need at LEAST 17 teeth on the front or the chain will be all over the swingarm pivot! Ray.

Comment

This is what I bought off ebay from sledpartsguyand the chain was 8"or 9 " too short and now you are telling me that I should have got a 17 tooth sprocket F---!!!Wish me luck.

New O-Ring Chain and Sprocket Set for Suzuki motorcycles. Fits the following models:
              • GS 1100E, 1980-1983 models
              • GS 1100S, 1983
              • GS 1100ES, 1983
              The sprockets are stock gearing, 15/42 tooth sprockets and the chain is a 530-96 O-Ring Chain.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                If you are doing a 520 conversion to an 1100 you need at LEAST 17 teeth on the front or the chain will be all over the swingarm pivot! Ray.
                Bummer, I should have known that, as I had already done the 530 conversion to it, of course that was a while ago, and I don't recall what I put on now, probably 17t. I had only done the 520 conversion to my 700 until now.

BTW, changing sprocket sizes is only needed on bikes that came with 630 chains stock. 530, and 520 use the same pitch, just different widths, so sprocket tooth/diameter ratio is retained.

Comment

I, too, am going to replace the sprockets/chain on the 80 GS750E I'm restoring. If I'm reading/calculating keerectly, the stock chain/sprockets were 630/96 with 15/41 countershaft/drive sprocket size. This would yield a final drive ratio of 2.733...
                  If you divide the sprocket teeth number by 5 and multiply by six per the Z1 site going for a 520 conversion, you get a c.s./drive sprocket sizing of 18/49! :shock: Final drive ration would be 2.722...
                  What am I doing wrong??? I mean, if the calculations are even correct, what is everyone else doing to accomodate this sprocket size variation?
                  Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvdo View Post
                    I, too, am going to replace the sprockets/chain on the 80 GS750E I'm restoring. If I'm reading/calculating keerectly, the stock chain/sprockets were 630/96 with 15/41 countershaft/drive sprocket size. This would yield a final drive ratio of 2.733...
                    If you divide the sprocket teeth number by 5 and multiply by six per the Z1 site going for a 520 conversion, you get a c.s./drive sprocket sizing of 18/49! :shock: Final drive ration would be 2.722...
                    What am I doing wrong??? I mean, if the calculations are even correct, what is everyone else doing to accomodate this sprocket size variation?
                    Thanks for the help.
                    Whats wrong with 2.722? You are NOT going to notice the difference. I personally went with a 17/50 in 530, for a 2.9 or something like that cos i wanted a lil more grunt than stock. Previously, i had a 52 tooth 630 drive sprocket on it, which yeilded a 3.5 something or other ratio. Burn out city baby

Comment

With the 530 chain front sprocket there is a spacer ,Where is the spacer to be placed inside the sprocket or outside ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by martinfink View Post
                        With the 530 chain front sprocket there is a spacer ,Where is the spacer to be placed inside the sprocket or outside ? Thanks

Crankcase, spacer, sprocket. You can buy them, but i just found 2 washers, welded them together, and took a tad off with a belt sander. Seams like a lot of work, but it was quick, worked well, and i didn't have to wait for a spacer to ship
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X