Tying down a 1979 GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tying down a 1979 GS1000S

Going to take my GS1000S to someone who can give it more love than I can. I'll be towing it on a DiamondC trailer (along with my BMWK1200LT); the trailer has multiple tie-down points.

I've gotten good advice for tying down the BMW and proved them out with a 1200 mile tow. But its suspension and configuration is utterly alien to the GS1000.

So far, I think that I can tie down the rear using soft-ties over the tubular frame; the soft-ties will be against the plastic inner fender but that shouldn't be a problem.

Tying down the front is the real challenge: the GS1000 cafe fairing is the major impediment: soft ties on either the handlebars or the fork braces give me few angles to work with if I want to avoid rubbing between the tie-down straps and the fairing.

I did a search on the forums but didn't find anything specific. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Larry Johnson
    El Paso TX

I have done a 750 a couple different ways to Finland and back - about 1,000 kilometres each way.

I have kept it upright with stops against the tires and strapped it both ways - that works but don't strap it down tight - just stop it falling over and let it ride on its own suspension.

I have also put it on the side stand and strapped each wheel down tight to the floor - that works too, provided the side stand doesn't break

It's best to let the bike ride its own suspension, however you think is best.

Comment

when i strapped my 1000 down, i put it on its centerstand, then strapped the tires down good, and used the forks in front, and frame in the rear for strapping from an angle

Comment

I never tie down suspended components. You hit a bump, the suspension compresses, and bam...lost bike.

I've always secured bikes from the highest unsprung points...usually the tops of the fork legs and rear wheel. I'll place additional straps from handlebars, over the seat, and from the frame for teh sake of stability, but I never use them to hold the bike to the trailer. this is going to be a lot like "what oil to use", though...lots of opinions.

Comment

Maybe the best way to figure it out is to go to a local dirt bike race and see how they do it. Those guys get lots of practice.

Comment

according to the dealer who ships a lot of bikes and other sources:
            use a front wheel chock(made of tubular steel and available for $15 that uses 4 bolts holding it to the deck) with 2 hookless ratchet straps at a 45 degree angle from the lower front forks to sturdy eyelets bolted to the trailer decking. Make sure to strap to the lower fork, by the fender mount, so there is no compression or stress on the front suspension. For additional safety on heavier bikes, 2 straps to the rear frame down tube, usually around "10 o'clock on the rear wheel", again at a 45 degree angle to the trailer decking eyelets. Be careful not to pinch any wiring harness or other things that might be tie wrapped to the frame.
            Two things I would say are critical are the 45 degree angle of the straps and not cinching down the front causing the fork to compress and potentially blow out your seals.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              I never tie down suspended components. You hit a bump, the suspension compresses, and bam...lost bike.
              Compress the suspension, then tie down. Never fails.

Comment

Originally posted by chopz54 View Post

Agreed. You tie down a bike witout compressing the suspension somewhat, and the first good bottoming it takes, your strap tension will go slack, and she could fall over.

Comment

Rocket science again.
                  Blow the seals, yeah right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have been using this system for tieing the bike down. I bought some 3000 lb. rated chokers and hook them to the frame. Since you have the fairing you should be able to put the chokers on the lower triple tree and use ratchet straps to tie it down with. We used that method on Wazz's Concours and it went under the fairing and worked fine. I do not fully compress the suspension but do bring it down about 1 - 2 " or so and have not had any problems. If you do not have the pipe type front wheel chock that would be a good investment to put the front tire into. I also have the circular tie downs that are attached to the bed of the trailer with fender washers and bolts with locknuts. I got my straps at a local trailer shop and one thing the owner mentioned was to make sure you have four times the weight of the bike in tie down strap working weight in case of a panic stop situation. He told me that almost all cases he had heard of a bike getting loose is because of a panic stop situation and lack of straps rated working weight on the back end to keep the bike from breaking the rear tie downs. I will put two straps on the front and four on the back.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by chopz54 View Post
                      Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Agreed. You tie down a bike witout compressing the suspension somewhat, and the first good bottoming it takes, your strap tension will go slack, and she could fall over.
                      Actually, if you only tie down unsprung parts, your suspension can compress as much as it likes and you will never lose tension. That's the point. If you tie your straps to sprung components, THEN you face the risk of slacking your straps when you hit a bump.

Comment

I use the 5 tie-down ratchet strap method to tow my GSXR to/from the racetrack.

One strap goes on the lower triple clamp between the steering stem and the fork tube on the left side. Repeat for the right side of the lower triple between the steering and fork tube. Clamp it down till the front forks compress a fair bit.

One goes over the seat/frame to compress the rear suspension.

Two go through the rear wheel.

Never had a problem doing it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                          Actually, if you only tie down unsprung parts, your suspension can compress as much as it likes and you will never lose tension. That's the point. If you tie your straps to sprung components, THEN you face the risk of slacking your straps when you hit a bump.
                          Tie them however you like. When (IF) i ever have to tie mine down, it will be tied down the way I was always taught. Slightly compressed. The bike itself is not heavy enough to compress the suspension any further than partway no matter how big a jolt it takes. If it does, you have suspension problems anyway.

Comment

If it's a real live 'S ,wrap it in blankets and matresses and put it inside the car.Get the family to sit on the trailer.They'll understand.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                              If it's a real live 'S ,wrap it in blankets and matresses and put it inside the car.Get the family to sit on the trailer.They'll understand.Cheers,Simon.
                              I think you got something there...but you didn't specify how to tie down family members to the trailer so they don't fall over or off?

Comment

Working...
                              X