LT Switch Guts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LT Switch Guts

FYI: If you ever need to open up a LT side switch with auto cancel turn sigs, high / low beam and horn....be prepared for lots of little parts to go flying. 6 springs, 3 contactors, a steel ball and some plastic bits.

My horn button broke out and Mr. Mortation was kind enough to send me a LT switch he had. I used his switch as a guide to reassemble mine with his horn button. I used dielectric grease to hold all the springs and parts together and carefully installed it back into the housing. The grease really made the switch operate smoothly.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

i dont understand how those auto canceling turn signals work on a bike. not to highjack yer thread but can someone explain it to me?

Comment

that brings up memories of tiny flying springs...

i had mine part too
        that steel ball was actually rusted!
        i have yet to find a replacement, short of buying the whole switch
        got a spare one?
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by NetBSD View Post
          i dont understand how those auto canceling turn signals work on a bike. not to highjack yer thread but can someone explain it to me?
          what specifically do you want to know?

do a search in the tech forum, it's been explained in the last few months iirc
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            i had mine part too
            that steel ball was actually rusted!
            i have yet to find a replacement, short of buying the whole switch
            got a spare one?
            Break up a small ball bearing..

Comment

Originally posted by NetBSD View Post
              They vary from bike to bike.

IIRC most of the Suzukis are 100% electronic. Travel a certain distance at a high enough speed and the signals are cancelled.

Others like my '84 goldwing are a combination of electronic and electro-mechanical. Travel a certain distance at a high enough speed and a solenoid fires releases the switch allowing it to return to center.

Comment

Same as the right hand button

The button, spring and contact on the left switch is the same as the right switch.

Back in the 80's there was a service bulleting on it. I looked for the part numbers for the right switch and didn't find them in the micro-fiche. Maybe someone has access to the service bulletin and it has the part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
                  The button, spring and contact on the left switch is the same as the right switch.

Back in the 80's there was a service bulleting on it. I looked for the part numbers for the right switch and didn't find them in the micro-fiche. Maybe someone has access to the service bulletin and it has the part numbers.
                  Yep, Start button is the same as the Horn Button. It was my start button that actually broke so I moved the horn button over. I use to spray silicone in the buttons and it must have degraded the plastic. I have not been able to find new buttons anywhere.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Both my horn and start are missing now. Given up looking for buttons, gonna replace both controls soon as I find some.

Comment

GSXR switches can be adapted to work without too much trouble, there not as faded as the GS stuff, and you get push to cancel turn signals to boot. Other Suzuki model swithces may work as well.

Comment

Do you know a specific model of bike that we could use the left hand switches off of to get the push to cancel feature. And then how would the clutch hook up work?

Comment

Working...
                        X