Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any homemade swingarm bearing removal tool suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any homemade swingarm bearing removal tool suggestions?

Take me to bearing tool school.
    My Suzuki shop manual shows a bearing removal tool ( I forget the number at the mo...) but the picture is only worth about two words.
    Anybody ever make their own tool for pressing or pulling out the old bearings in the swingarm?
    I'm actually working on a no-name aftermarket aluminum swingarm and I don't really want to be bashing it with a BFH.

Got a press here at work... hmmm.

Appropriately sized socket to use as the 'press', lump of wood and a good size vice - all you need to press out just about any bearing you care to name.

The trick is to make sure the bearing is taking the pressure and not the 'piece' you are working on (in this case - the swingarm).

Comment

Can't you tap it out from the inner side using a really long screw driver (or something similar) through the opposite side ? That's what I did with mine.

Comment

Yep, had to smack it from the back with a drift. (The socket trick works to press it in but to press it out you have get a tool onto the inside of the tube.)
        One came out easy - I didn't think it would be so easy.
        The other is toast. Actually some of it is still in there. The outmost sleeve of the bearing itself is not moving.
        This picture is worth about three words...

"What the fugamIgonnadoabouttheadhesionduetocorrosionofdis-similarmetalsproblemhere?"

I colored the bearing left-overs blood red in this photo because it is slated to die! Should I just cut it with a dremmel to fold it and take it out?

Saga continues

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
          I colored the bearing left-overs blood red in this photo because it is slated to die! Should I just cut it with a dremmel to fold it and take it out?
          yes, just be careful not to cut too deep.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

you need a long sold drift punch and a heavy hammer
            worked for me no damage to arm

a friend to hold the arm is nice
            one who trusts you aim

Comment

Working...
            X