stripped Nuts on oil filter cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped Nuts on oil filter cover

after oil change a nut didn't screw on all the way and kept spinning. I had a slight leak so I reseated he gasket and used a different nut. Then another nut stripped which I tied running it hoping for a small leak again. Bad choice, it all spilled out pulling out. So am I using crap nuts that strip? Can I use gasket sealer?

Originally posted by cyberdork View Post
    after oil change a nut didn't screw on all the way and kept spinning. I had a slight leak so I reseated he gasket and used a different nut. Then another nut stripped which I tied running it hoping for a small leak again. Bad choice, it all spilled out pulling out. So am I using crap nuts that strip? Can I use gasket sealer?
    Even ungraded nuts should be able to hold that together. The studs are probably partly stripped, which would cause the nuts to strip out easily. Crawl down there and have a look. I doubt gasket sealer will help and it could very well hurt.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

That stud is definitely stripped - a frequent occurance on these guys.

Just get you some new studs and nuts (obviously you can see the benefit of having a couple of spares around) and replace the stud. The old stud should come out easily enough with a little urging with a pair of Vise-Grips, clean out the hole with a little solvent of some sort, Put a little blue LockTite on the threads that screw into the engine case and screw it in until firm (but don't go torquing it). I like to give the LockTite 30 minutes or so of curing time and then put the filter and cover back on and you should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
        That stud is definitely stripped - a frequent occurance on these guys.

Just get you some new studs and nuts (obviously you can see the benefit of having a couple of spares around) and replace the stud. The old stud should come out easily enough with a little urging with a pair of Vise-Grips, clean out the hole with a little solvent of some sort, Put a little blue LockTite on the threads that screw into the engine case and screw it in until firm (but don't go torquing it). I like to give the LockTite 30 minutes or so of curing time and then put the filter and cover back on and you should be good to go.
        Well I thought that too, the original stud that had the stripped screw went on fine the second time, then when I just tried to fix it a different stud acted up. Please excuse my ignorance but can you find studs at a hardware store or are they specific?

Comment

They are metric, so the easiest way to do it is to get one out. This is where a good pair of visegrips comes in. Take that stud with you and get four(I know there are only three, but then you have one extra) and six new nylock nuts. You will need a tube of blue loctite or if you are really confident you can use red(but don't strip it again it won't come out). Then do as directed, blow out the hole with brakeclean put a drop of loctite on the threads and screw it into the case, let the loctite set up and then reinstall the cover with the oring using your swanky new nylock nuts with a 1/4"ratchet just snug. that is about 5ftlbs
          Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2008, 06:46 PM. Reason: adding stuff, doh!

Comment

Can I find these at a hardware store or will I have to order them?

Comment

Originally posted by cyberdork View Post
              Can I find these at a hardware store or will I have to order them?
              Maybe a "real one" like an Ace, but not a big box.

Comment

Personally, I get them from Suzuki....................I KNOW those fit.

Comment

I wish they made them longer to have more space for the nut to grip onto. I ordered them off of bikebandit instead of worrying about the hardware store. Thanks for the help.

Comment

They are short so that the acorn nut will cover the top. If you go to a longer stud, you can't use an acorn nut. That is why you go to nylock nuts and you don't have to worry about the length.

Comment

Acorn nuts.

I have an '82 GS1100E and I had a similar dilemna after a local shop recently did an oil/filter change. After they supplied me with some open nuts to try (which didn't work btw), I ended up finding some acorn nuts through a local BMW/Mercedes repair shop. They fit PERFECTLY. They're slightly larger externally, but the thread pattern is the same. The BMW part number is: 11121720113. I paid $2.25CDN for each nut. I repalced all five for my filter cover. The shop had stripped three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by gusman82 View Post
                        I have an '82 GS1100E and I had a similar dilemna after a local shop recently did an oil/filter change. After they supplied me with some open nuts to try (which didn't work btw), I ended up finding some acorn nuts through a local BMW/Mercedes repair shop. They fit PERFECTLY. They're slightly larger externally, but the thread pattern is the same. The BMW part number is: 11121720113. I paid $2.25CDN for each nut. I repalced all five for my filter cover. The shop had stripped three of them.
                        Here is your test question for the day: Will you ever use that shop again?
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                        X