Changing the fork seals pictorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the fork seals pictorial

I had to change my fork seals and took some pictures and put together a pictorial of the process. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?1noxwxrnmjt

If anyone feels something needs to be changed added or whatever let me know and I will gladly edit it.

Quality write up.

1 question, did you not use the drain screws to drain the fork oil out first then?

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
      Quality write up.

1 question, did you not use the drain screws to drain the fork oil out first then?
      No, I had to change the seals, so it was quicker just pouring the oil out once the forks were removed and less mess.

Comment

Nice write up - even my missus could change fork seals now

Might be worth adding in about measuring your springs when you've got them out to make sure that they are in spec.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Nice write up - even my missus could change fork seals now

Might be worth adding in about measuring your springs when you've got them out to make sure that they are in spec.
          I think I did mention that, gave minimum and standard length, but thanks that is a valid comment, seeing it is open and apart.
          Keep well.

Comment

Good Lord, the picture quality alone makes this a lifesaver, and the timing is perfect! Got my seals and oil just waiting for the day!

Thanks!!

Comment

Fantastic effort Andre. Great timing as well. My Gs650 front forks (care of EBAY) are in transit from the US as we speak. And I will need to do a full check and oil seal replacement, etc. before I install them on my 550 frame. Cheers. Don.

Comment

Hi Matchless, great work on the oil seal replacement guide. I agree with your view on the oil replacement by volume rather than measure from the top of the fork leg. Good point about not using an air compressor if you have air forks, not on my Katosaurus. When I did have air forks I found using a bicicle pump was very accurate and not much effort and no chance of blowing out the new seals if someone had adjusted the regulator into the stratosphere and you had not checked the dial beforehand, cheers.
                Shin-Ken 1074
                1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

My only variation on your write-up is the seal driver. I installed the upper tubes, then slid the seals down over the top. For my seal driver, I used a section of PVC pipe that extends past the end of the upper tube. Since it fit a little tight, I cut a slit along the entire length so ti will slide over the upper tube. That way, any impact at the upper end of the PVC is transmitted to the entire circumference of the seal, so it goes in very straight.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    My only variation on your write-up is the seal driver. I installed the upper tubes, then slid the seals down over the top. For my seal driver, I used a section of PVC pipe that extends past the end of the upper tube. Since it fit a little tight, I cut a slit along the entire length so ti will slide over the upper tube. That way, any impact at the upper end of the PVC is transmitted to the entire circumference of the seal, so it goes in very straight.

Steve,
                    If you have a photo of your seal driver, I will gladly add your method, as any DIY innovations or tools for these jobs are always good to have and so many times lost to others who may prefer it or find it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      Fantastic effort Andre. Great timing as well. My Gs650 front forks (care of EBAY) are in transit from the US as we speak. And I will need to do a full check and oil seal replacement, etc. before I install them on my 550 frame. Cheers. Don.
                      Don,
                      My pleasure! Hope it helps more people to see that this is not a complex job down , but quite an easy service that can be done at home.
                      Has you Norton Dominator found a new home yet? What year and model is the GS650 you are rebuilding?
                      Keep well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                        Good Lord, the picture quality alone makes this a lifesaver, and the timing is perfect! Got my seals and oil just waiting for the day!

Thanks!!
                        Glad it can be used or helps a bit. If you find anything that can be added or needs changing I will gladly add it.

Comment

Quite a nice piece of work!
                          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                          X