Throtle cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throtle cable.

Hi, I have an 82 GS550L. To replace the throtle cable is a nightmare. Any tips would be great as its fraying at the top end.

If it's the same arrangement (push/pull) as a 78 GS1000 they're fiddly but not too bad to change. Took me about 30 minutes

Comment

Its not the "push pull" type. Its got a wheel at the bottom of the carbs & the cable end is fitted through a slot then onto the pulley. Last time it took my mate over an hour & much cursing, after I gave up after a couple of hours. Fiddle does not sum it up!

Comment

i think it would be pretty easy. i could probably replace and adjust mine in 20 mins.

Comment

I put the carburetors back on my 550E (same basic setup as the 550L) before the throttle cable. Big mistake. There wasn't a good way with the carburetors mounted to get the ball end of the cable into the throttle actuator; there wasn't enough clearance. Much to my chagrin, I ended up loosening all of the clamps at the front of the carburetors so I could pull it back a bit, tilt it up, and I could finally access it then. It was much more trouble than I figure it would have been.

Comment

The last time we changed the cable, we bent up the fixing bar to give more room. Got to be a better way.

Comment

I am looking for some hints & tips. 20 mins sounds great, How?

Comment

Originally posted by Repeater View Post
                I ended up loosening all of the clamps at the front of the carburetors so I could pull it back a bit, tilt it up, and I could finally access it then. It was much more trouble than I figure it would have been.
                I've installed the carbs without attaching the cable and had to do the same thing. It actually took just as long as pulling, and replacing the carbs.
                In answer to the original question: It's hard no matter what. You can put the cable on with the carbs installed, but it's like doing brain surgery. The bigger bikes have plenty of room to work, so people will tell you you're nuts. The truth is that the 550's are the absolute worst to get the carbs on and off. You can change the cable on a 750, 850, 1000 in 20 minutes. Not so on a 550.

Comment

The one time I did it on my '85 550 with the carbs on I remember jamming a screwdriver or a wrench under the wheel, and it was still not that easy. The Hayne's or Clymer's authors must think it's a real funny joke when they write stuff like:
                  5. Mount carburetors.
                  6. Reconnect throttle cable.

Comment

what I did was I took a pecie of tie wire and made a loop in it to grab and hold the wheel. I just tied it off to the frame.

Comment

Working...
                    X