Making a tank protector!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a tank protector!

Has anyone had success making their own tank protector? I almost bought an adhesive backed one yesterday, but fearing the evnentual removal proccess of the adhesive, I decided to perhpas make my own out of magnet based sheeting.

So.....

Who has done this successfully. I read on here somewhere that someone used vinyl floor matting? and tips would be great

thanks

I can't help but will watch this with great interest. My tank is getting very scratched from the zipper of my leather jacket. I was contemplating using a piece of car inner tube.

Comment

Two words "Tank Slapper" dirt cheap and practically invisible. Auto parts stores may sell this or similar products from 3M for auto bras.

Comment

Thanks. I found the tank slapper link in a post you made about it a while ago. Though it might be a good option, that site has NO PICTURES of how it looks on a bike. I don't want clear either. maybe you could offer up a shot or two. I want something that is going to provide a bit of grip as well. Does the tank slapper?

I was thinking about this option...https://www.magnetking.com/product_i...products_id=22

maybe cutting a custom shape, or cutting into horizontal strips that run from the seat to the top of the tank.

Comment

For the old Concours I used black magnetic material...darned if I can remember where I got it. Looked nice, too.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
            Thanks. I found the tank slapper link in a post you made about it a while ago. Though it might be a good option, that site has NO PICTURES of how it looks on a bike. I don't want clear either. maybe you could offer up a shot or two. I want something that is going to provide a bit of grip as well. Does the tank slapper?

I was thinking about this option...https://www.magnetking.com/product_i...products_id=22

maybe cutting a custom shape, or cutting into horizontal strips that run from the seat to the top of the tank.

Here's a side view of my Fz1, for $19 including shipping I got three pieces of clear film. They typically have the pieces pre cut for most modern bikes. They may sell un cut pieces that you can cut yourself.

I know your thinking there is nothing on that tank but in fact it fills the whole area where your knee/thigh would rest, from under YAMAHA down and back. The shade is hiding it in the picture.

In person and in the right light you can see its there. Their web site shows rolls of colored material. They also say their material has no adhesive backing while the 3M product does.
            The 3M product is probably not a good option.

Its not hard to put it on or take it off and put it back on. A little water with isopropyl alcohol and a squeegee is all you need.

I've never used magnet style protectors but I would worry that they could scratch if moved laterally for some reason. Unless you got grit under the tank slapper before applying it shouldn't be able to do any damage. I've had mine on the FZ1 for 73K. It does provide a non slip surface.

See this link for review and better photos http://www.webbikeworld.com/paint-pr...nk-slapper.htm

Comment

I used the tank slapper on my sv for 3 years. It was a great product for me.

Comment

Has anyone had success making their own tank protector? I almost bought an adhesive backed one yesterday, but fearing the evnentual removal proccess of the adhesive, I decided to perhpas make my own out of magnet based sheeting.

So.....

Who has done this successfully. I read on here somewhere that someone used vinyl floor matting? and tips would be great

thanks

I used the rubber floor mat. My eyes lit up when it I saw that it looked like a tire tread. Looks great, but contact cement was not the right choice for adhesion. A fellow GSer suggested a 3M double-sided tape which I will attempt when time permits.

You will have to snip off all the "carpet grab spikes" from the bottom of the mat, no problem with a comfy chair and patience.

Here's how mine sits now. You can see it coming up on the back curve-down of the tank. Heat of the sun loosened it up.

Comment

Haha, BINGO..I knew you were out there. That's what I was looking floor. Couldn't remember what you used. very nice. I think I'm going to buy a magnetic sheet and then glue the rubber matt to it.

Comment

Haha, BINGO..I knew you were out there. That's what I was looking floor. Couldn't remember what you used. very nice. I think I'm going to buy a magnetic sheet and then glue the rubber matt to it.

That's a good idea, you can remove it for cleaning. touch up, etc. I just don't know if you can get that magnetic sheet to form to the tank shape and lay flat. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X