630 to 530 chain conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

630 to 530 chain conversion

I have been seeing some parts distributors talking about chain conversions from the factory 630 to 530 size. I'm in the process of replacing the drive chain and sprockets on my 1980 GS1100E. I'm wondering if this conversion is really worth while, or only a very minor performance improvement. Also what are the down sides? I'm guessing the smaller chain will wear out quicker.

Better acceleration due to reduced chan weight, cheaper and more plentiful replacement options, option to change the gearing (higher or lower).

Recent links.

Posplayr

Comment

As far as any performance gains, there won't be that much. As far as parts availabilty and changing ratios, maybe a little more variety but not that much either. Where it does make a difference is if you swap over to wider rims like GSXR's. Then you need a thinner chain to clear the tire and frame which a 530 chain allows.

Comment

Chains

Where it does make a difference is if you swap over to wider rims like GSXR's.
        I'm working on it. Your bike has been an inspiration toward that end. Very nice.

Posplayr

P.S. Katman is recommending 520 chains to get better clearance for the 180 rear tire with Bandit swing arm.

Comment

'Preciate the compliment, and right back at you for your hard work.. At the time I did the 530 conversion I hadn't seen anyone who didi a 520 so I stuck with the 530 which rides a little closer to my 170 Michelin than I'd like. If I had to do it all again I'd go 520.

Comment

80GS1000 is running a 520 chain on his bike with a 180 tyre but he has the GSXR swingarm.

The other key advantage is 530 parts are cheaper. I don't believe they would wear out much quicker on our bikes.....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The 530 chain makes a gentler arc around the sprocket than the 630 (links are 5/8 inch rather than 6/8) so wear should be improved, as long as it's a modern chain. It's only a tiny bit thinner - the rollers are still 3/8 inch wide and it's only the thinner side plates that make any difference. A 525 or 520 ar 5/80 and 1/8 thinner respectively but you would expect the wear rate to rise as you have the same power going through a narrower roller on to a narrower sprocket.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Also, good luck trying to find 630 sprockets and chains if you're on the road and have issues. Say you're 1000 miles into a western region rally and your chain goes south. Also say you start calling around Reno to see if anyone has a 630 chain in stock (or you can pretend you lose a masterclip or something) and you find that noone does. 530s are more likely to be there in case of an emergency.

Obviously all this stuff is unlikely to happen. But it COULD

Comment

I am currently running a 630 chain with 15T front and 41T rear sprockets. If I switch to 530, should my new 530 sprockets also be 15T and 41T?

Comment

Originally posted by alkswheetinjur View Post
                    I am currently running a 630 chain with 15T front and 41T rear sprockets. If I switch to 530, should my new 530 sprockets also be 15T and 41T?
                    NO, you end up with a rear sprocker suited for bonniville, you need sprocket the same diameter as the 630's. Personally im going to great lengths to leave a 630 chain on my 100oe that be running early gsxr wheels. will fit jsut need a custom made rear sprocker for rear cush drive. also........ http://www.3guyz.com/vtwinfaqs/76-530630chain

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                      As far as any performance gains, there won't be that much. As far as parts availabilty and changing ratios, maybe a little more variety but not that much either. Where it does make a difference is if you swap over to wider rims like GSXR's. Then you need a thinner chain to clear the tire and frame which a 530 chain allows.
                      530 is same witdh as a 630

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                        'Preciate the compliment, and right back at you for your hard work.. At the time I did the 530 conversion I hadn't seen anyone who didi a 520 so I stuck with the 530 which rides a little closer to my 170 Michelin than I'd like. If I had to do it all again I'd go 520.
                        Agree - in the 90's the development went into 530 chain. Since 2000 520 has been improved out of sight. Our race GS1000 is on 520 and I think that other than for gearing changes we haven't had to adjust it for two seasons of race use.

Comment

Working...
                        X