HELP!! I Can't Check My Oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! I Can't Check My Oil!

Does anyone know how to clean the inside of the little Oil Level Window on the side of a '77 GS750?

Mine's totally black!
    I originally thought it might just be old dirty oil mucking up the window from the PO letting it sit forever.
    But after 2 oil changes, it hasn't cleared up at all!

Any ideas?
    Should I just hold tight and see if it clears up after a few more oil changes??

Is there any other way to check my oil level w/o using that window?

Cuz as of now I have no way to tell if I'm low on oil besides waiting till I do an oil change and then making sure I have as much come out as I put in.

You'll have to pull the clutch cover off, and clean the window using some Qtips and some carb cleaner/degreaser or something like that. If its really crusty, might have to use something small to get in there to scrape it. I have found that a small allen wrench works, N1Elkyfan found that some wire strands stuffed in there and worked around works pretty good too...

Comment

i had to use a small flat bladed screw driver and work a small rag into it to get the crap out of mine

Comment

Get a new Clutch cover gasket before you take it off.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Kool... taking off the clutch cover to clean it doesn't look so bad.
          Where's the best place to get a gasket? Will the dealer still be able to get them? Cuz they're just right up the street from me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD View Post
            Kool... taking off the clutch cover to clean it doesn't look so bad.
            Where's the best place to get a gasket? Will the dealer still be able to get them? Cuz they're just right up the street from me.
            Yes the dealer will, but probably no faster than you can order it from BikeBandit.com or someplace like that. The dealer will have to order it as well, and they'll likely charge you more than getting it yourself.

Comment

Kool!
              Thanks... everyone!

Comment

Usually that gasket comes off clean and can be reused, also it is an easy gasket to cut out of paper.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X