Grip glue removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grip glue removal

I took an old t shirt ripped in a strip and soaked it in fingernail polish remover. Then wrapped in completely around the handlebar. Then wrapped that in plastic, I used a Walmart bag, it keeps the fingernail polish remover from evaporating. Put some rubber bands around to hold it in place. Waited about 1 1/2 hours and pulled the whole thing off. It removed the old glue and the glued on end cap. Wiped it down and let it dry. Ready for new grip!!
    Worked like champ for me.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

If you don't plan on using the grip just cut the thing off.
    I use the air nozzle from the air compressor to remove grips. Pops them right off.
    Get the inside of the new grip damp and slide it on. Let sit and it sticks. No glue or solvents needed. Comes right off with the shot of air.

Try alky next time. Cheaper than polish remover...and the wife doesn't get mad at you. Or get acetone which is polish remover without all the stuff to make it "friendlier" to women's skin.

EDIT-watch out with the solvents, don't want to get it on the paint!

Comment

Never done this but read it somewhere

To get a grip off, stick a screwdriver in under a portion of the grip and shoot some hair spray under it. Grip should slip off.

To put grip on, spray inside with some hairspray; slips right on and hairspray acts a glue.

Again i have not tried this, just remember reading something like this . If anybody knows better chime right in.

BTW

We used to use hairspray as lubricant of Foozeball table rods.

Posplayr

Comment

After the old grip is off isn't there usually a mess of old glue? I already had the old grip pulled off so all that was left was an old plastic end cap and alot of old hardened glue. I didn't want to put on my new Oury grips over that mess. It surprised me how well it worked.
        Edit:: BTW the girlfriend didn't mind the nail polish remover, after all, she por-15'ed the tank and helped me adjust valves. I'm the luckiest guy ever!!!
        Last edited by Larry D; 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

FWIW, Scott Grip Stick is the best grip glue on the market IMO. With that product, grips stay stuck where you put them.

Comment

DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER????

You are a very lucky guy!

Yeah get the glue off then moisten the inside of the grip and slide it on, it will stick on its own.

I use hair spray for spud guns....

Comment

Working...
            X