No announcement yet.

How do you replace handlebar grips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray compressed air under the leading edge as you push it on.

Comment

My left grip came right off, went back on easy!
      My right grip was hell to remove, and HELL to replace, with a 2x4 and force and lube and etc...

Comment

I've found that a hair dryer and a little patience usually softens up the old grip so it can be removed easily without the use of chemicals. You can then soak the new grips in very hot water or use the hair dryer trick again and they usually slip on pretty easily as long as you don't hesitate and let them cool before completely in place.

Kevin

Comment

grips

nothing works like hairspray. :P

Comment

I see that the job is done, but I'll toss in another suggestion: hot water.

I've done that for years...pour boiling water over a stuck grip to swell and soften it a bit it will usually pry off quickly.

If the glue is really stubborn, a shot of WD40 with a nozzle under a screwdriver tip helps, as already suggested.

Installing a new one...pour boiling water into a tall glass or cup and push the grip into it. Let it sit in the water for at least a full minute, then remove it and immediately slide it into place on the bar.

Let it cool (and shrink) for two minutes....and ride.
            "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
            X