'Fuel flow? 1979 GSe 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Fuel flow? 1979 GSe 1000

I'm looking at (not yet purchased) a 1979 GSe 1000 bike ran fine the owner changed the petcock (new) and now it it won't stay running. He says it's not getting fuel. He also keeps mentioning a sending unit? I've never owned a GS 1000. The bike has very low mileage just 12,000 new tires good clutch shifts fine $700 he's asking. What should I look for in the fuel issue? Thanks for any replies.
    Cheers, 50gary

Doesn't matter, for that price buy it.
    But talk him down anyway, just because it's fun.
    If it's complete and looks half decent it's worth a grand, maybe a lot more.
    He might have hooked the vacuum line up incorrectly, might have a clogged inline filter, might have a problem in the carbs.
    All that stuff can be easily repaired.
    Last edited by tkent02; 09-11-2008, 09:54 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Naw, that bike stinks. Don't buy it.
      But what's his number?

Mine did that - caused me to change the ignition (was gonna anyway), and do the valve shimming adjustment dance (necc anyway) all to eventually find that the petcock (fuel valve) was faulty. Once the fuel hose ran dry the bike would stall out. Running it in prime helped prove the worthiness of the rest of the bike.

Most people suggest buying a new petcock rather than rebuilding the old one which I hear is difficult and marginal at best.

In stock bike the fuel filter is inside the tank, as part of the fuel petcock - could be clogged.

So that could be the fuel starve problem - then again the whole bike could be a dirty dog and you should just give it here, m'K? K.

JC

Comment

Thanks guys appreciate the comments. I have to travel attend to a wedding Saturday so Sunday I'll go do battle 'er try to negotiate a deal?
        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Originally posted by 50gary View Post
          Thanks guys appreciate the comments. I have to travel attend to a wedding Saturday so Sunday I'll go do battle 'er try to negotiate a deal?
          Cheers, 50gary
          It might be gone by then, if it's been advertised at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X