Motorcycle GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle GPS

Gift season's almost here. I'd be interested in seeing what others have to say about GPS systems for motorcycles.

Types, brackets, using automotive versions versus motorcycle, mounting tricks, etc.

Magellain Roadmate 2000

I have the Magellain Roadmate, and its been really great, I got hte mount from RAM Mounts, and it clamps onto the handlebars. I mounted it on the left side. The only downside is if its on the Aviod Highways and Toll Roads, it can end up putting you on unpaved and gravel roads. It was also rated at being the Brand that tended to take you the long way around, but if your looking for a low priced GPS its a great buy

Nate

Comment

I've been a fan of Navigon Systems. Their software is very straight forward and the Route Options are nice. Not sure which models they have specifically for Motorcycles, but it would be my choice.

Comment

The bike-specific models seem frightfully expensive, maybe due to the extra ruggedness built into the units ($500 to $700 last time I checked). I picked up the Mio Knight Rider last month and had a blast using it in the car... a pretty impressive piece of KITT....

Find the latest technology stories, breaking news and reviews on Yahoo Tech.

A Ram handlebar mount is now available for this model, so I'll probably try it on the bike next spring.....already have a cigarette lighter socket wired in under the seat. I really wish these GPS units featured an earphone jack, to clearly hear the directions in the helmet. Argonsagas suggested adding one after the warranty expires, which seems to be a good idea (this model does not feature Bluetooth).
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Though I do not own a bike specific model per se'
          I do have a couple one's an Old Skool garmin GPSV-
          Used specifically for loggin routes, and other stuff.
          My Mio is my GPS choice for my Service truck, had a Magellian Roadmate 1200 and a Tom Tom 1/3rd before hand...
          I prefer my MIO C320 over both them.

I have a Bodyglove Wrap around Ear bud that I picked up to use with the MIO.

If it is raining, I am NOT riding anyways (by choice that is).
          I rode for 5 yrs exclusively - motorcycles -
          I will never by choice ride in the winter again.

Comment

has anyone tried mounting a windows mobile phone and using Google maps or Microsoft live search?
            I use it in my car and it works great!
            mounting it though... that's a bigger trick...

Comment

Also, I know AT&T has it's own GPS system for like $9 a month. Works great on a phone with a decent sized screen. I haven't verified, but I would guess you could even hook it up with a bluetooth earpiece and get the directions in your ear. The Tilt even has a touch-screen

Comment

I use my Palm TX for my GPS. It has a car cradle with the antenna and the maps are on SD cards. I use it in my car - it's not a portable GPS since you have to be in the cradle for the antenna signal - but I'm not stuck with a GPS only device. I can still use my Palm for normal Palm stuff and even plan routes offline with the software. It also allows me to pull up in a Holiday Inn Express parking lot and check my email on their free wireless internet or surf the net on the built in browser. Might be tough to integrate into a motorcycle but I never really tried either.

Comment

Ahh GPS on a bike. This to most is overkill but I built this bike for an Ironbutt competitor last year.

In the stormcase is a Panasonic laptop that uses bluetooth to the display on the tank. There are also two Garmin GPS up front to provide redundancy.
                  Also installed are satellite weather and traffic display.
                  Not your average cruiser.

Comment

Gps

Guys,
                    I like em...not that I dont keep maps somewhere ...I first got a Garmin Quest...seemed like a good unit and it is....just not quite as easily readable going down the highway on a bike as my aging eyes would have it...SO in enters a nother Garmin 2610...took a bit more time tolearn its abilities....its h2o friendly...mounts aren't as h2o proof as I'd liked the one for my Quest died a tragic death and since it was past any warranty period I was out about $75. so with the 2610 I smear the electric connectors with big wad of Dielcetric grease....should keep water out lectric in....I like trhe 2610 because it doesn't have music,and cell phone capability....only music I want to hear is my motor.....and dont want to be distracted by somebody I dont want to talk to anyway....So I guess I'm OK with a GPS......I just double check with roadsigns before I make a left turn in 500 yards, make a left turn in 100 yards......off course recalculating....off course recalculating.....
                    Rodm850g

Comment

I've got a Garmin Zumo 550. It works great in the car or on bike, but it's a bike-specific design, yet works stand-alone if you'd like. Has bluetooth phone & MP3 music applications, too, as well as sirius weather & radio. It can use either a STRONG suction cup or RAM mount. Never worried about the suction cup @ 80+ mph.
                      Hugh

Comment

Wow, that Hard Butt bike is THE coolest thing I've EVER seen. I dig my cruisers, but overly-geeked-out RVs like this really get me excited. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I've been watching the prices of the Garmin Zumo models -- that's what I would really like. I just found today that Garmin has discontinued their Zumo 450, and looks like they are replacing it with the Zumo 660.

As a result, the price of the 450 has plunged. You can now buy a new one from Amazon.com for under $400. It's discounted over 50% from list.

The 550 is also reduced in price if you are looking for the extra mounting brackets and bluetooth capability -- but its not discounted as much as the 450 is.

Now, if I can just convince Carol that this is a good time to buy this new toy.......

Comment

Been looking for a good GPS unit for the Chopper build Im in the middle of. I looked at the Mios a couple times but after reading this, I just bought the C320 for $89. Now as soon as its here, I mod the tank to have it sit near flush with the top of the tank. Thanks for the run down on these.

Comment

I bought a Navigon 2100 for use on the motorcycle for $69. I was even able to hack it and use the Windows Mobile that it runs for the map software. I will make a custom mount but I have seen mounts for them on ebay. I figure that for $69 I won't feel as bad if for some reason it bounces off the bike and down the highway. I'm sure MI potholes will test the ability of my mount to hold it steady on the bike. I got it at Newegg but have also seen it at Ecost for the same price.

Comment

Working...
                              X