Broken Side Cover Post - Easy Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Side Cover Post - Easy Fix

I've gotten so much helpful advice from this forum I thought I would share this with you. When I purchased my bike the posts on the side covers were broken off. A new side cover for my 750L was about $40 plus shipping. This fix should work for any type of bike that has sidecovers with a post that fits into a rubber grommet. You only need a couple of parts.
    All can be purchased from McMaster Carr. The main part is a male -female thread adapter. I used part 92499A208. It is made of 18-8 stainless with a 5/16"-18 male end and a 1/4"-20 female end. You will also need 2 5/16" flat washers and a 5/16" lock nut (I used nylon insert type). Simply install the adapter into the grommet hole (leave the grommet in) use a washer on either side and tighten the nut. Now you have a sturdy post that won't break off. To hold the side cover on I used a plastic head thumbscrew part # 91185A661. You can use any type of 1/4" fastener you want. I used a sealing washer and an internal lock washer on the screw. Since the side cover is plastic you don't want to put too much force on the thumbscrew. The sealing washer and the lock washer will keep it plenty secure. Since the adapter is mounted in the grommet there is some give anyway. This is good so that there is little stress on the plastic side cover. To drill the hole in the side cover I used a step bit. To find the location for the thumbscrew I stuck a piece of modeling clay on the inside of the side cover and pressed it against the adapter. This left an imprint in the clay and I could easily locate the hole I needed to drill.
    I have attached some pictures so you can see the finished installation.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2008, 01:46 AM.

More Pics

Here is the picture of the side cover with the post removed and hole drilled.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

More Pics

Side cover installed with thumbscrew. Fairly clean appearance IMHO.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

more pics

Detail showing the thread adapter

Comment

more pics

one more of the thread adapter installed

Comment

last picture

detail of the thumbscrew with the sealing washer. Sorry about the dirty fingernails..my hands are always covered in dirt and grease.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Cool.

With a fancy chromed knob, you can even add a little bling to your bike with this repair. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

cool

Nice Idea, I may try that.

Comment

Where I've lost a pin I've used industrial Velcro, the mushroom type. But on my left cover where all pins are broken, I also use a wire tie as double safety.

Comment

Great advice guys..

Comment

Working...
                    X