X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips and tricks about fiberglassing

anyone have any tips/tricks?

What exactly do you want to do?

If you go to youtube.com there is some great info there about how different projects are done, how to make molds etc.

This will at least get you in the right direction for your specific project.

Comment

Id like to make a fiberglass fuel tank to replace the pillion, carve one out of foam? dunno....can the foam be disolved and removed without affecting the fiberglass afterwards or does it have to be cut in half??
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Airtech

makes fiberglass gas tanks for racing, but they are NOT recommended for street. In a crash , fiberglass will crack not bend and gas will go every where and could ignite.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          makes fiberglass gas tanks for racing, but they are NOT recommended for street. In a crash , fiberglass will crack not bend and gas will go every where and could ignite.
          This is true, and that is their "disclaimer" I forever thought that 'glass tanks were illegal for street use, but have found that is not true. Not recommended for sure, but in a wreck, your alloy or steel tank will leak just the same thru the cap...

Comment

any one know who makes custom seat/rear faring for gs 750 1979????

Comment

Have a look at this thread from the XS 650 forums. I have written up on this epoxy/glass over foam a couple of times. It is the easiest and cheapest way of custom building seat pans and such. You can also build gas tanks this way. Form the shape in pink foam, encapsulate it in fiberglass and epoxy resin ( must be epoxy so as not to melt the foam as would happen with standard polyester resin). Once the form has cured drill a hole and pour in acetone which will melt the foam. Pour out the gunk.Line with Kreeme or POR15 or the like for extra peace of mind.

Have a read :http://xs650temp.proboards29.com/ind...d=10944&page=1

Pm me if I can help further.
              Cheers,
              Spyug.

Comment

Here's a tutorial on carbon fiber lay-up.

Comment

My biggest tip:

Wear gloves, and don't touch your face. Seriously. Don't.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    The least of my worries...I'm not going to crash anyways. Don't racers crash?
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

You could always go with a race fuel cell and just make a fiberglass cover as sleek as you want.

This way you are safe in an accident and you still have a great looking custom fiberglass tank. ( the v-rod and i think honda did this where the tank is just a cover for electrics and the fuel tank is lower down for better weight distrubution. )

Lotus did have the inner fender wells as fiberglass gas tanks on the Elise, over time they did leak but this was back in the 60's. Make it thick enough and with the right resins and glass and you should be fine.(unless you crash then the tank is toast. Unless you make it out of Kevlar........hmmmm now there's a thought! )
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andtex24m View Post
                        any one know who makes custom seat/rear faring for gs 750 1979????
                        The seat and rear cowl you see on the cafe bike in my signature is one I made myself. If you have a particular design in mind, give me some drawings, and I can see what I can do. I have a 77, 78 and 79 750 from which to draw measurements from, so dont necessarily worry about that. I am not great with 'glass, but i have a good freind who does the 'glass body parts for the Miss Budweiser Jet boat, and he and I have some things in the works, mostly reproductions of stock body panels and seat pans and what not for UJMs, but I would like to expand into some custom work for 'rods and cafes... Cant promise it will be cheap, but it will be awesome and exactly what YOU are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
                          You could always go with a race fuel cell and just make a fiberglass cover as sleek as you want.

This way you are safe in an accident and you still have a great looking custom fiberglass tank. ( the v-rod and i think honda did this where the tank is just a cover for electrics and the fuel tank is lower down for better weight distrubution. )

Lotus did have the inner fender wells as fiberglass gas tanks on the Elise, over time they did leak but this was back in the 60's. Make it thick enough and with the right resins and glass and you should be fine.(unless you crash then the tank is toast. Unless you make it out of Kevlar........hmmmm now there's a thought! )
                          Or carbon fiber...

Comment

An important FYI; E10 will dissolve conventional fiberglass tanks. It's been a huge problem with fiberglass marine fuel tanks. The polyester or vinylester resin resin dissolves, and can cause carb or FI clogs, as well as other gremlins when it runs through your engine. I don't know if using epoxy for layup will keep this from happening.
                            1979 GS 1000

Comment

thats a goodtip to know btw dose any one know of any websites that sell f/glass tanks?

Comment

Working...
                              X