charging system up grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging system up grade

kind of new here, i have owned a 80 and 82 gs1100 before. both were almost new. i never had a charging system problem. now i have a low millage 84 gs 1150 es. 11,000 miles. i see so many posts about stater ,regulator problems. is it a big enough problem that i should do a up grade even though i am having no current problems. i am a beliver in if it is not broke do not fix it.

As you say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I would suggest checking all the connections related to the charging system, and cleaning them up. I try to go over all connections in the area of any job I'm working on, not just those related to the charging system. Unplug the connections, clean them up, then add some dielectric grease when reassembling. I know one guy that does this with every connection on his bike, every winter. I think that's a little obsessive myself, but he lives in Wisconsin, so he has more winter than average.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

I'm of the same mindset but I also believe in fore knowledge is power. So in that regard, I always wire in a voltage meter to keep an eye on things.

With these bikes the R/R is weak and the one thing to do is run the seperate line from the negative lead to the negative pole of the battery.

It is also a good idea to clean up contacts and change out bullet connectors for newer spades. Apart from that I wouldn't fiddle with anything else unless there is a real charging problem.

Ride them, don't wrench 'em......my new moto.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
        i am a beliver in if it is not broke do not fix it.
        As far as Suzuki RRs go..... If it aint broke, ride 500 miles from home and it will be.

Save up $40 and get a honda RR from Duanage. Then when yours craps out you wont be stuck with a dead battery.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          As far as Suzuki RRs go..... If it aint broke, ride 500 miles from home and it will be.

Save up $40 and get a honda RR from Duanage. Then when yours craps out you wont be stuck with a dead battery.
          I'll second this!!!....3 GS1100's owned - 3 failed stock r/r's + 3 Duanage Honda r/r replacements = ~14.55 volts

Comment

Just where does one fine the Duanage Honda R/R?
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

from Duaneage...
              pm him and ask.

or if he is out of them at the present time, find one on e-bay and wire it up yourself.
              something like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

I must say his are very reasonable and take all the work out of finding one and wiring it up.
              Last edited by rustybronco; 10-30-2008, 11:57 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

This is what I use, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...mZ230302940048 .
                You can always find them for $40 or so and only a year or two old. No sense wire to hook up either.

Comment

Thanks guys. Since this is my 1st GS in several years, I probably should get one just for when the right time comes as it surely will.
                  I had this happen to me back in '92 but was unaware of what had happened. I was 1300 miles from home and had a replacement stator put on at a salvage yard for bikes. Needless to say I was very skeptical, but it was still performing properly when I sold the bike in'98.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

duaneage hooked me up as well.

The sense wire i just wired into the rear running light. Works perfectly and I no longer worry about frying wires or burning up my stator or R/R
                    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Honda R/R

off a 01 CBR 929 work? Where would I find instructions on what wires to connect where? Thanks for any help.
                      1981 GS750L (sold)
                      1981 GS750L (current)
                      1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
                      1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
                      1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
                      1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
                      1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
                      1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
                      1980 GS1100L (Janice)
                      Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
                      e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman001 View Post
                        off a 01 CBR 929 work? Where would I find instructions on what wires to connect where? Thanks for any help.
                        Hi Mr. Tazman001,

How many wires does it have? What color?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman001 View Post
                          Looks to be the same part as the 1000RR. Hooks up the same as your GS regulator. Three yellow wires from the stator, red for positive, and green for ground. Also no sensor wire to hook up. Just wait for a good deal on one. I've picked up two of them off Ebay. One cost me $30 plus shipping and the other $40 plus shipping.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2008, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                            Looks to be the same part as the 1000RR. Hooks up the same as you GS regulator. Three yellow wires from the stator, red for positive, and green for ground. Also no sensor wire to hook up. Just wait for a good deal on one. I've picked up two of them off Ebay. One cost me $30 plus shipping and the other $40 plus shipping.
                            Why wait for a good deal at that price when Duanage (GSR forum member) sends you exactly what you need right away with all the connectors and diagram for $40 including shipping. All three that I bought from him for 3 different GS1100's bolted right up, work perfect, and even the sensor wire to the rear brake light is easy to hook up. He includes all the bullet connectors you need and there is no cutting wires to length. It has about twice the heat sink surface as the stock one.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                              Why wait for a good deal at that price when Duanage (GSR forum member) sends you exactly what you need right away with all the connectors and diagram for $40 including shipping. All three that I bought from him for 3 different GS1100's bolted right up, work perfect, and even the sensor wire to the rear brake light is easy to hook up. He includes all the bullet connectors you need and there is no cutting wires to length. It has about twice the heat sink surface as the stock one.
                              They can be had just about any day of the week on Ebay for about the same money. Not trying to step on Duane's toes here, just stating the truth. These R/Rs are only a year or two old. Unless things have changed Duane's come from bikes from the early '80s. The newer Honda regs are also about twice the size of the GS units.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2008, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X