Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing guide for aluminium

Hi guys

I found this guide on how to polish aluminium/aluminum.
    Look at the pics. Simply stunning result.
    Elbow grease and a few simple tools is all you need.
    Pls comment if you find it helpful.

Cheers

JF

All Good!

Thanks for that link jfsebastian!
    I just finished reading it and I'm just about to start polishing a swingarm so good timing. I've painted a swingarm with PJ1 clear-coat before and after 10 years it still looks great. I have not been able to source the same paint so does anyone have any other prefered clear coats? The PJ1 brand usually makes motorcycle frame paint but getting clear has been tough this time around. The existing paint job has not yellowed or cracked so I'm not worried about clear coaring over pollished ally, and if you want to put an original sticker on the swing arm, that stays put and easy to clean.
    Thanks again jfsebastian.
    Scott.

Comment

That's a great link! Seen heaps of threads on here re: polishing, but nothing goes through the process quite like that, and it's real nice to see those pictures of the process along the way.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Cheers mates

Glad you enjoy the swedish way of polishing.

But as he says in the text, water is the enemy. Donīt forget to wax and protect the surface after polishing.

JF

Comment

Originally posted by redscott33 View Post
          Thanks for that link jfsebastian!
          I just finished reading it and I'm just about to start polishing a swingarm so good timing. I've painted a swingarm with PJ1 clear-coat before and after 10 years it still looks great. I have not been able to source the same paint so does anyone have any other prefered clear coats? The PJ1 brand usually makes motorcycle frame paint but getting clear has been tough this time around. The existing paint job has not yellowed or cracked so I'm not worried about clear coaring over pollished ally, and if you want to put an original sticker on the swing arm, that stays put and easy to clean.
          Thanks again jfsebastian.
          Scott.
          Look into CLEAR powdercoating if that is truely what you want things to look like. I have read that clear powdercoating wont yellow, even on motor parts, like a clear laquer or clear paint will.

Personally, I prefer the naked polished look. You may have to pull the parts off every few years and polish it again on the buffing wheel, but once you do that, and then keep it up with Mothers or other high quality alu polish when you wash your bike, it will stay looking good for many years.

Comment

i have hand polished all the parts on my bike, the only exception is the swingarm which i bought polished to order. i use furniture wax polish to keep it shiney and protect it. polishing can be a bit of a bind sometimes but once you got that mirror finish and keep on top of it the finish is second to none.
            no chrome, no clearcoat just lovely shiney aluminium
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
            X