Improvised cold weather gloves report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvised cold weather gloves report

I have all the gear I need to ride on cold weather except gloves. And today, I wanted to go for a ride. What to do?

I have two pair of gloves I wear on the bike. A pair of Cortech DX open mesh gloves, which are very nice in the summer, and a pair of insulated gloves I got for mountain biking in the winter. The insulated gloves are only good for about 50°F around town, and don't have any real crash protection other than thin leather palms. The mesh gloves, I can stand down to maybe 60°F. Today, local weather stations in the area reported 39-41°F.

I went out to the garage and grabbed a pair of disposable nitrile gloves I've been using when I have to deal with some of the nastier fluids a bike might need. These are a good fit on my bare hands, so it took a little while to get them stretched over my mesh gloves. I found I could get both layers on and off together. The first test was to run cold water from the sink over my gloved hand. It was slightly cool, but not cold. Not nearly as cold as bare-handed. I figure the air trapped in the mesh provided an insulated layer. Absolute dryness inside.

OK. Time to try riding. Around town, up to about 40mph, my hands are uncomfortaby cold, but not bitter freezing cold. I spent 10-15 minutes like this. On I-75 doing 70, I was surprised to find that my hands were not much colder. I think the windshield was deflecting more wind away from my hands at this speed. Off the slab and heading home, I noticed a little numbness in my fingertips, which brought back childhood memories of snow-wet gloves in Western NY.

All told, I think I rode 15-20 minutes. It was uncomfortably cold, but tolerable. I think 30-40 minutes would have been painful and getting dangerous. With a full fairing, I could probably have ridden indefinitely.

Obviously, proper winter gloves are in order, but this might be a good makeshift solution instead of plastic grocery bags. The nitrile gloves provide grip and dexterity on the controls somewhat better than just the mesh gloves, and are absolutely waterproof until torn. Stretching them over other gloves made everything tight enough to probably impede circulation and make things feel colder. One size larger would have been better.

Only my hands were cold on this ride. With proper gloves, I could probably ride in sub-freezing temperatures. Other gear included:
    -Full-face HJC helmet with balaclava and breathguard (works perfectly).
    -Tourmaster mesh jacket with Thinsulate and wind/rain liners
    -First Gear HT 2.0 Air mesh pants over jeans, without the wind/rain liner
    -TCX leather/Gore-tex riding boots with ordinary socks.
    Last edited by Dogma; 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Great report many thanks!

I've heard of using nitrile gloves but under regular gloves. The idea of putting them over mesh gloves is a great idea as I'm sure the mesh does trap warm air and provides that insulation. I think I'll try it.

Last year I bought snomobile gloves but they are too bulky. This year I bought heated grips. The heaters are built into the grips and the grips are smooth and have nopadding. Don't like them and didn't install.

Another weird thing I did notice when I switched from my mesh gloves to my regular leathers is that my grip on the throttle has changed. My grip is not comfortable and I find I'm mostly too low. This causes me to not be able to fully crack the throttle without having to adjust the grip higher. On a couple of occassions this caused a big problem as I unintentionally "grabbed a handful" and nearly launched myself off the back with a bit too much acceleration. I don't understand exactly but I've only ridden a couple of times since August so I'm likely just out of practice again.

I was out the other day when the weather was again near 70 so I could revert to the mesh which I find more comfortable so perhaps your idea might work well for me.

I'll be giving it a try.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

I used my gore tex snowmobile gloves when I was riding to work last week in the morning. It was about 40 degrees in teh morning and I found the gloves to be warm and comfortable. They were a little bulky but not so much that I felt it was a problem. On my way home I was able to use my scorpion mesh gloves and I can see I will like them a lot in the summer. I had looked at getting a pair of insulated touring gloves but for the cost I think I will stick with my winter gloves.

The Nirtile over the mesh gloves will trap a layer of warm air but the problem with using them as cold weather gloves is that the Nitrile has a very high rate of heat loss. It has no insulating properties on it's own and will allow all that warm air to be cooled by the wind very fast. You didn't get super cold because the Nitrile was keeping the wind directly off your fingers but it wasn't really keeping the cold air from getting into the space. Your best bet would be to find a pair of Thinsulate or Gore Tex gloves to use in cold weather. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

i have used nitrile gloves under a wind/water proof pair of gloves with good results. I have a pair of tight fleece gloves i will try with the nitrile gloves over them and then the wind/water proof gloves over everything. I think this will work well.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I did that once too.... I just bought some silk liners to keep in the reg box
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I tried the neopreme fishing gloves. They work well in the rain and stay warm for an hour or two in 40 degree temps. The best piece of equipment that I have used is handle bar covers that strap on bought from a Harley dealer. Similar to Hippo Hands from Vetter years ago. At Christmas Augusta, Ga. to Tampa in fourty degrees with no gloves and hands never got cold. $30.00.

Comment

Just found this site http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm wouldn't the hand guards from a dirt bike or something similar block enough wind to keep your hands resonably warm??? I'm thinking it's more wind chill than temperature that freezes the fingers.

Comment

Are you joking?

Just get some leather, insulated work mittens, $15. If you need another layer, use wool liners.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I haven't ridden in a couple weeks, but I rode occasionally the last two winters. The harsh Chicago winters haven't been too kind to my hands, but that's the only problem I'm having.

When I rode last winter, I had a t-shirt under a cotton sweatshirt to start with. I still wore regular jeans, but I had a pair of sweatpants underneath. I look a little chunky with this arrangement, but have never been warmer. My jacket of choice is a Columbia Interchange, with a removable inner fleece layer and a weatherproof outer layer. The cuffs are velcro, so I close them around my gloves to keep all the air out. Keeps the core nice and warm. I have a balaclava to go along with my full face helmet, eliminating all problems keeping my head warm.

Last winter I bought a pair of silk glove liners for my leather Tourmasters, which are perfect for 40-60 degree weather, but fall short for anything colder. Would nitrile gloves help at all? I bought grip warmers last March, but after I got them installed, it started to warm up. The only parts I have trouble keeping warm are my hands. I was thinking of snowmobile gloves, but they seem too bulky to use regularly. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
                    I haven't ridden in a couple weeks, but I rode occasionally the last two winters. The harsh Chicago winters haven't been too kind to my hands, but that's the only problem I'm having.

When I rode last winter, I had a t-shirt under a cotton sweatshirt to start with. I still wore regular jeans, but I had a pair of sweatpants underneath. I look a little chunky with this arrangement, but have never been warmer. My jacket of choice is a Columbia Interchange, with a removable inner fleece layer and a weatherproof outer layer. The cuffs are velcro, so I close them around my gloves to keep all the air out. Keeps the core nice and warm. I have a balaclava to go along with my full face helmet, eliminating all problems keeping my head warm.

Last winter I bought a pair of silk glove liners for my leather Tourmasters, which are perfect for 40-60 degree weather, but fall short for anything colder. Would nitrile gloves help at all? I bought grip warmers last March, but after I got them installed, it started to warm up. The only parts I have trouble keeping warm are my hands. I was thinking of snowmobile gloves, but they seem too bulky to use regularly. Anyone have any good suggestions?
                    I tried nitrile under my snowmobile gloves a few weeks back on a cold morning,32F. By the time I did the 12 miles to work,the tips of my fingers were aching. Think I will have to try the silk glove liners. Hate to think I have to quit riding completely.
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                      I tried nitrile under my snowmobile gloves a few weeks back on a cold morning,32F. By the time I did the 12 miles to work,the tips of my fingers were aching. Think I will have to try the silk glove liners. Hate to think I have to quit riding completely.
                      If your fingers are as cold-sensitive as mine, nitrile, silk and gloves might not be enough. Mine will start to become numb at 40 degrees and riding for at least 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
                        If your fingers are as cold-sensitive as mine, nitrile, silk and gloves might not be enough. Mine will start to become numb at 40 degrees and riding for at least 20 minutes.
                        Based on what I experienced, the nitrile won't help that. Based on what shopping I've done, some kind of lined heavy leather is the most promising way to go. I know TCK has some fairly cheap ones that he's ridden into the low 30's.

We could ask Steve what the 'Wing riders do, but they probably just shell out the cash for Gerbings.

My thinking lately is that I value my hands enough to pay for something that will keep them warm and provide adequate crash protection. Just any old warm glove isn't good enough. It'll probably be nearly spring before I do.
                        Dogma
                        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I had some of the Hippo Hands when I lived in Vermont but found them to be too cumbersome to get any enjoyment out of the ride.
                          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                          2000 Kawasaki Concours
                          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I rode about 50 miles today, 45mph much of the time. There were occasional flurries. I did the nitrile under nice leather gloves, and was pretty okay for most of the time. Next time (and there mos def will be a next time) I might try cotton/poly gloves under the nitrile.

If the roads are clear and dry, I'm gonna be out there.
                            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                              I rode about 50 miles today, 45mph much of the time. There were occasional flurries. I did the nitrile under nice leather gloves, and was pretty okay for most of the time. Next time (and there mos def will be a next time) I might try cotton/poly gloves under the nitrile.

If the roads are clear and dry, I'm gonna be out there.
                              I'll be interested to hear how that goes. Those gloves should trap more little air pockets than my mesh, giving better insulation.

I'm also curious how different sizes of nitrile would affect that. Though I can't ask you to go get more glove sizes to satisfy my curiosity. The reason I"m curious is this: My nitrile gloves fit may bare hand well, but are of course tight over other gloves. Larger nitrile should give less squeeze, allowing normal blood flow and not compressing whatever air pockets the underlying gloves trap. Hmmm... maybe some large, orange, rubber kitchen gloves...with gauntlets! Seriously though, that's probably too weird-looking even for me.
                              Last edited by Dogma; 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                              X