Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    ^^^^^ READ THIS, PEOPLE! ^^^^^
    Words of trvth and wisdom. Learn it, love it, live it.

I use a Shuhmacher battery maintainer myself. Also very high quality, and not as expensive as the Official Battery Tender Brand stuff.

As noted above, the cheapo wall-wart trickle charger from Harbor Freight is not controlled (and thus could overcharge your battery) and does not have a diode, so when the power is off, current reverses and slowly discharges your battery. Hook one up to your battery, turn off the lights, and unplug it from the wall -- you'll see its LED glowing weakly. Not good.

There's frugal, and then there's just plain cheap. If you can't afford anything better than the HF charger, pick up an extra lunch shift at McDonald's or something.
    Umm, yes and no ...

The Harbor Freight cheapy is NOT a trickle charger. It IS a true controlled float charger. It will NOT over-charge your battery.
    It will actually do a good job of keeping your battery up over the winter if you don't leave it attached to the battery but disconnected from A/C.
    (which is not really something you "should" do with any charger ... although some are impervious to it)

The reason that the trickle chargers are diode isolated is because they are _SO_ simple. All they are is a transformer and a diode bridge.
    The harbor freight charger has that, but then has additional circuitry to hold the voltage at float (and a current limiter and an antispark circuit of some type).
    Connecting a battery but no A/C lets the battery power that extra circuitry.

So they CAN be an OK frugal choice.
    That said, the voltage tolerance on them was pretty wide. If you buy one, the voltage may be set anywhere from about 12.8 to 13.2 volts. Any of that range would be OK for flooded and maintenance-free batteries (AGM batteries MUST be at the high end)(And I personally would prefer it at the higher end of that range for all of them)
    So take a voltmeter along to harbor freight and make sure you get one set at 13.2

For a long thread on them read here.

Comment

I use a solar powered battery tender on the roof of my shed. Works great and needs no power. And it has a diode built in for reverse protection.,
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        I use a solar powered battery tender on the roof of my shed. Works great and needs no power. And it has a diode built in for reverse protection.,
        That sounds neat. Do you have a link to the product?
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
          That sounds neat. Do you have a link to the product?
          There are quite a few on Ebay Don. There's one with the diode for about $20. http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLAR-POWER-PANE...1%7C240%3A1318

Comment

I know its been awhile since the last post on this topic but I thought I'd relate my experience at Harbor Freight over the weekend. I went there with the intent of buying one of their low budget trickle chargers that was mentioned here. I thought I was out of luck when the assistant mgr mentioned they were on sale but sold out. When asked when the next shipment was due he told me that the model I wanted didn't have a good rep with re: to longevity and advised against buying one. Instead, he recommended their on board charger which was heavier duty and more reliable. I told him that for the $20 price tag I'd rather invest in a Battery Tender. He marked it down to $9.99 and asked if that would change my mind. I bought 2.
            Willie in TN
            Ironically, I installed one in each of my skiboats and put my GK battery on a Battery Tender I'd been using for the boat. lol
            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Harbor Freight Feedback

FWIW, I'm starting my second winter with HF cheapie battery tenders, $4.99 when they're actually in stock. I have four of them now and they did a great job on my rider mowers, etc. last winter.

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                FWIW, I've found a cheap trickle charger plugged into an appliance timer set to turn on for 1-2 hrs a day to be very inexpensive way to keep my battery charged during off seasons. It worked really well on the battery for my lawn tractor. I figured it should be the hot but cheap ticket for my bike batteries as well. I'd greatly appreciate the opinion of others.
                Thanks
                Willie in TN
                You have my vote.

I use a one-amp charger and have a timer set to run 45 minutes a day with three parallel-wired batteries.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                X