Anybody have a good DIY Engine Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a good DIY Engine Stand

I need an engine stand to finish my rebuild. The thought of doing some of the stuff on the bottom end on the floor is not very enticing. Anybody built one and have a good example? Could I just build a sturdy stand with rails made of 2X4 the same distance apart as the bottom of the frame?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM.

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
    I need an engine stand to finish my rebuild. The thought of doing some of the stuff on the bottom end on the floor is not very enticing. Anybody built one and have a good example? Could I just build a sturdy stand with rails made of 2X4 the same distance apart as the bottom of the frame?
    What's wrong with the kitchen table?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bought this engine stand from Princess Auto for about $30 on sale. A little threaded rod and some washers and nuts and old pieces of black metal water pipe and I was good to go. I've used it for a number of engines already. Have a hook for hanging the aux. gas tank and a battery box. Gonna mount an old clipon bar from an old parts bike for switches and throttle. Great for working on the engine from every angle.

Recently I mounted a platform on the bottom to put my oil bucket to catch anything that might drip while things are apart. Not shown in the pics.

Comment

Yeah, I've thought about modifying an auto stand. Long term, that's what I'm gonna do. In the sort term on a variation of Tkent's suggestion I think I'm going to build a stand out of 2X4s. At this stage it's just a more convenient height for clutch springs, pulling and installing pistons, sump cover, etc...

Comment

Just put it on your work bench, if that's in use knock up another one. This will be the correct height.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Just put it on your work bench, if that's in use knock up another one. This will be the correct height.
            That's the plan, just making sure there were no genius ideas out of PVC pipe and gum floating around.

Comment

I bought a dead GS1100E frame from the local salvage yard, and cut-away everything above the upper front and rear motor mounts. Then I welded 4 long pieces of 1/2"-13 theaded rod onto the back to go in my automotive engine stand. Works like a charm!

Comment

Working...
              X