Clutch Rod Seal Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Rod Seal Fix

So my seal was leaking from where the rod came through and every seal that I could find with or with out the part number just didn't seem right. So I talk to a farmer/truck driver about it and he gives me an idea that works...

JB Weld and a Neoprene washer. I pulled everything apart to get access to the seal. Cleaned it with Brake Cleaner. Slid a 5.8mm O ring onto the shaft and pushed it back to the seal. Then I put the washer that I thinned with the Dremel on...JB Weld around the edges. Put the cover plate on and let sit for a day or so untouched. I've been riding her to work and no leaks! A lot easier than trying to replace the actual seal.

I'd have posted pics but my camera is junk.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

I'm always up for a little improvising, but how do you remove JB weld if it does start to leak?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The Dremel.
      1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
        So my seal was leaking from where the rod came through and every seal that I could find with or with out the part number just didn't seem right. So I talk to a farmer/truck driver about it and he gives me an idea that works...

JB Weld and a Neoprene washer. I pulled everything apart to get access to the seal. Cleaned it with Brake Cleaner. Slid a 5.8mm O ring onto the shaft and pushed it back to the seal. Then I put the washer that I thinned with the Dremel on...JB Weld around the edges. Put the cover plate on and let sit for a day or so untouched. I've been riding her to work and no leaks! A lot easier than trying to replace the actual seal.

I'd have posted pics but my camera is junk.
        did you check bikebandit.com? cause The dealer had the wrong one for mine and I ordered one on bikebandit and they gave me the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
          did you check bikebandit.com? cause The dealer had the wrong one for mine and I ordered one on bikebandit and they gave me the right one.
          Still the wrong one and this was a lot less work.
          1981 GS 450L

Comment

I did the clutch pushrod seal on my old 450 and got the part from Bike Bandit. There was some trick to getting the right part but I don't recall off the top of my head what it was.
            At any rate, the 450 has a strange oiling system where there is an oil galley port right behind that seal. I made the mistake of starting the engine with out the pushrod installed and oil shot out like a fountain! Put my finger over the hole and turned off the engine. It's no wonder those clutch pushrod seals leak so often.
            Last edited by Nessism; 04-06-2009, 08:01 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

it would take about just as long to just replace the seal instead of messing around with all the extra stuff.

you drill a 1/8 hole on the flat part of the seal, take a machine screw thread it in until it bites, yank out seal and screw, oil new seal endges, drive in new seal with socket.

You can still get new seals from binkebandit.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

This took about 5 minutes...start to finish.

You just have to do what you're comfortable with.
                1981 GS 450L

Comment

or just do it right the first time
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                    or just do it right the first time
                    had to close my mouth I was laughing so hard. Maybe it's just late...doh-no

Comment

Working...
                    X