Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home made seal remover

Hi all..
    just had to change the gear selector shaft seal, tried a couple of different ways to remove the old one, to no avail, while sitting thinking about the problem realised that a bearing puller would be ideal but much too big, so got a long,narrow head flat blade screwdriver and gently bent the tip at right angle to the shaft. Cheap and nasty screwdrivers work better, it's softer metal so won't snap. Slid an appropriate size socket over the shaft for the weight, and had a go. Worked like a charm, popped that seal out very easily. Now, no leak and a happy owner...
    cheers
    barbara

Can you snap a pic of the "tool"? Sounds like a great solution!

Comment

Originally posted by barbara View Post
      Hi all..
      just had to change the gear selector shaft seal, tried a couple of different ways to remove the old one, to no avail, while sitting thinking about the problem realised that a bearing puller would be ideal but much too big, so got a long,narrow head flat blade screwdriver and gently bent the tip at right angle to the shaft. Cheap and nasty screwdrivers work better, it's softer metal so won't snap. Slid an appropriate size socket over the shaft for the weight, and had a go. Worked like a charm, popped that seal out very easily. Now, no leak and a happy owner...
      cheers
      barbara
      I like these suggestions, please give us a picture so that others can see it as there have been quite a few questions on removing the gear and clutch shaft seals. Thanks for sharing.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Excellent idea.
        I wish I had thought of that when trying to remove my swingarm bearings.

Chris
        1983 750 Katana
        1982 750 Katana (parts use)
        1983 RZ350

Comment

Sounds like you made a small 'slide-hammer'.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            Sounds like you made a small 'slide-hammer'.
            Which is what some people have used in the past. Run the screw into the seal and use the slide hammer to pop the seal out.

Comment

Working...
            X