Marzocchi Shock rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marzocchi Shock rebuild

Got an old set of these. Lucked out and found a Factory rebuild how to.

Anybody know where to get Kits?

here is a live link.

Pos

OK I used teh search function here and see my questions had already been answerd. Sorry Zooks(Dave) and hp1100s (Hugh)

Edit: Links

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

To answer your question POS - they are fully rebuildable and have become quite collectable now. If you go to www.marzocchi.com they have a Nth American website. You should be able to track down a rebuild kit.

I've got 'em on my 1000SN, and I also had them on my '82 GPz750. I've found them to do a good job for me, both times. The shocks in that auction didn't look to have a clevis-body, though, for our models. I rebuilt the ones on my 1000 this past year, and got the kits from UK...very easy rebuild...I believe the website also had the printable manual for them as well.
    Hugh
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Rear shock (Marzocchi) oil wt. for GS1000

I'm just in the process of rebuilding a set of Marzocchi Strada rear shocks for my GS1000 (recently bought them so haven't ridden with them fitted yet). Standard spec. oil wt. is SAE 5. However, I'm 15 stone (210lbs) and like a firm ride. Has anyone any suggestions on whether I should go with a heavier wt oil?
    stay with the light oil but increase the spring rate.

heavier oil will slow both compression and rebound making the action sluggish.

0wt synthetic shock oil is cool stuff. the internal valving does the fluid restriction and the SPRING handles the weight. or should
    Just rebuilt the Marzzoci's on my S. Used 5wt. like prescribed. Feels great. I'm 200lbs. and I ride with the pre-load setat lowest notch.
    Last edited by posplayr; 04-18-2009, 03:14 PM.

Just rebuilt a set myself - well worth it. Here you go:

79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Got my kits through the UK guys, too...good service. Those shocks work very nice IMO: I just wish they made the kit to turn 'em USD.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Should have searched first, but at least I put the relevant stuff i found in the first post.

Jim

Comment

hp1000s - just seen yours in another post colour coded in blue - look sweet.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Humm

These look like early cartidge shocks. Very nice quality inside.

Impatience?

These shocks look pretty good on the inside; like someone had been in there in the last 5 years and just let them sit.

The outside looks like it was from Florida (like they were).
            I might just replace the outer o-ring and slap some 5 wt oil and see how they ride.

Pos

Quick look inside (after a little polishing)

Last edited by posplayr; 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Looks really good Jim
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Nothing-much wears on the inside...the weak point is the upper bearing/seal support:it's aluminum, and if your upper-to-lower mount relationship isn't right on(on the same plane), it can cause pre mature wear & failure by side loading the dampener shaft.

Comment

Working...
                X