rear spring removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear spring removal

you will need a small hydrolic press about $150, a bearing puller,a1.5in socket and a spring that needs to come off.
    i tried to put the pics in this thread but my lack of computer savy has prevented that so i put them in my profile pics . if anyone can help me with the pics i would apreciate the help.
    if you go there you will see how this feat was done,very simple and safe.

Here's how to post pictures from your album. Right click on the photo you want to display. Then left click on properties. A box will pop up with bits of info about the picture. Highlight the address by left clicking on the address until the entire address is highlighted, then right click on the highlighted address and left click copy. Come back here and click on the image box, the yellow one with the mountains, then paste in the address for the picture in the box that pops up.

Comment

What model are those springs for. My 1980 and 82 (one with predampener and 1 without) came apart with a compressor I made from material I found at Harry Homeowner store and a 17mm combo wrench.

Comment

hi hammered, the spring and shock in the pics are from an early 84 gs 1150
        very interesting rig you made there ,its amazing what you can do with stuff from around the shop and your local hardware store.
        i put a late model busa spring on the bike in the pics, amazingly enough it fit like a glove.as well the rear swagger the bike had from a worn out spring is gone
        thanks..... toolman

Comment

Is the top mount the same as with the 750? And if so, howd you get to the jam nut to loosen it? Oh and I want your press and compressor

Comment

hi again, the full floater rear shock is the same to look at, dosent matter what year or model. didnt remove any jam nuts the socket fits over top of the eye. but i did have to take the lower cable off, no problem all i did was set it on the first setting and removed it .
            be aware of the small gear at the shock end of the cable it has to seat properly when you get it back together
            sorry the equipment is not for sale ,
            thanks ....toolman

Comment

thanks billy i tried what you said and it worked , well except all that was there was a small box with an x in the middle.
              ill get my very computer savy wife to look at it when she get home .
              thanks so much for your help ......toolman

Comment

Were you trying to post them from your computer or the albom in your profile? They won't post from your computer. They have to be somewhere online to post.

Comment

What servicing were you doing to the shock, or were you just replacing springs? While the 750 is in pieces I'd like to service the shock but can't find and references.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

hi reddirtrider ,i was changing the spring. couldnt go through another season with that spring wallowing through the corners.
                    i got a busa shock from ebay and swaped the spring on to the gs shock. it fit fine, length and i.d.exactly the same and what a change it made. with the stock spring it dropped at least 3 in. with me on the bike now it drops about 1 in.and feels good, alot tighter.
                    as far as servicing the shock goes they can't be serviced or rebuilt.
                    bye for now ........toolman

Comment

hi billy, from my profil pics. ill try again soon, thanks again.
                      toolman

Comment

I use my press the same as you didn, but jsut used the stock that comes with it to hold the bottom and compressed the top with out using the big socket. I then wired the spring (when compressed) with some wire feed wire and when I released the press the sping was ready to be removed.

Too bad out not being able to rebuild these units. The shock itself doesn't have any damping (or very little) until over 1/2 way through it's travel. IT then feels good, so my guess it lost a bit of nnitrogen. (I'm not a shock expert, but it doens't leak any fluid, so my guess is gas).

If the 1150 shocks are the same maybe it's time to look around for a replacement. I bought a Ducati unit off Ebay that had the same length but the mounting ends don't quite fit.

Comment

the reason i chose the busa shock is that the bikes weigh about the same and the length of the shock was the same .unfortunatly it didnt fit .
                          so i took its spring instead.
                          my old shock the original one was in the same shape as yours, but in the box of parts that came with the bike there was a very good low milage unit.it was better but still needed more spring. now it is much better, looking forward to the season .as soon as the new painted parts arrive i am on the road.
                          ....toolman

Comment

Great, glad it worked out for you.

I'm going to attempt to use the Ducati shock. I've done some prelimary fitting and found I need to enlarge the top mounting point about 1/10th of an inch in depth to accept the larger diameter of Sachs shock. I'm also going to replace the Sachs spring with the one from the Suzuki and also use the dust cover since I'll be mounting the Sachs upside down.

I've just ordered a new pivot point on the Sachs shock as the Ebay unit had a missing end. Darn thing cost me $50.

I'm not going to document this until it's done as I'm not sure how it's going to work out. If it's good, I'll put something together so we have replacements for the stock unit.

Comment

Just a heads up... I've been looking into this myself. YSS do a shock for $279 it seems.

I think some people run a GSXR shock upside down... trying to find out more info on that now...

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X